Chapter 2

I wake up from the hard vibration of my phone. I check it and it is my first text I have gotten from Lana in almost a year. My eyes grow tired and weak but I manage to read the typing across my touchscreen. 'I'm sure you've heard by now. Marina, I'm truly sorry. We can talk this over coffee later' it says. I hesitate to reply. First I think that I am terribly mad at Lana so why would I have coffee with her, then I think that this may be a way to change her thoughts. This may also answer one of my unanswered questions, why would she not accept?

My fingers quickly reply, 'sure, how about a mall? A new one opened up in my area.' When it sent, I realized that there was a big problem to talk over coffee, she was living in the United States while I was in the United Kingdom. 'Oh Marina, your managers haven't told you yet?' Lana replied.

I used my arm to push me up from my laying down position. 'What is it?' I wrote back. While waiting for Lana's text back, I pulled my hair to lay on one shoulder and stood up for a quick stretch. My phone buzzes. 'Your managers were making us speak. You have a ticket to come to New York, for tonight.'

As soon as I read that text, my eyes became wide and I could sense the anger and tension building in. Why did they not ask me and why did they not tell me? I dial the number for my managers and tap my foot against the hardwood floor. When I am greeted from the other end I don't hesitate to crack my fumes open. "What the hell is this? I'm going to New York tonight? Since when? What time? Why the hell would you plan this without me? I can't trust you. You don't tell me anything," only at the end of my sentence my voice raises to a shout.

The other end is silent for a few seconds. "We called your home phone number and your cell. This morning and last night we tried contacting you but you never picked up. We made some last minute plans," he makes it sound like a question. This is a very unprofessional turn for my managers.

"Oh yeah. Some last minute plans. Very professional. Is there any dress codes or something? Jesus, what am I going to wear?" I ask. My head throbs and I start to panic a little. "When did you call me?" I ask. "And how fucking long will I be there?" I'm getting pissed, it usually takes me awhile to pack my stuff. I've only been to New York for short periods of time (and they are awfully judgy there) so I don't understand what to do, what to wear, how to act, what to-

"Marina you'll be just fine," he says as if reading my thoughts. "You'll be there only for a few days if Lana continues to say no. A few weeks if we convince her. Pack for let's just say, 4 weeks." His voice sounds like more of a guess than a know. "We're sorry, we can get tickets for next week?" he asks.

I shake my head although he can't see. "Whatever, I'll just pack now. Let's get this over with," I sigh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is the next morning and I squeeze her delicate hand noticing the tattoo sprawled across her beautiful skin. I knew Lana was pretty, but now seeing her in real life I can't spot a flaw. I push my black hair out of my eyes and have a seat across from her. The sun beating down on my skin starts to burn so I remove my leather jacket revealing a Cavalli dress I had bought a while back. "Lana it's a real honor to meet you. I love your music," I breathe out. I might sound like a twelve year old girl meeting their idol right now, but I can't help myself. Lana is a wonderful singer, a beautiful girl and has a great personality.

A small smile crosses her lips. "Same with you," she says looking away. "I know I've disappointed you and I'm sorry I-" she starts.

"Yeah why didn't you want to do the song with me?" I ask cutting her off by accident. I run my tongue against my lips for a moment and notice Lana staring at my lips. I lean in the table to get closer to Lana. My boobs rest on the table as I keep leaning in. I act like this is serious life-or-death business.

"I think your voice is beautiful, as is mine, but um... I think our voices together won't be, won't be great," she says stammering a bit. "I love your music, maybe you can stay here for a while and try to convince me, who knows? It might work," she laughs. A light smile still sits in her face.

I bite my lip and pull back, "Ok," I say. The waiter brings black coffee, little packets of milk and creme with different sugars. I rip open two white sugars and three milk packets. Lana takes one brown sugar, one milk and one creme. I see Lana staring at me in the corner of my eye as I stir my coffee together. "I like your shirt," I remark while looking up and catching her staring at me.

Lana is startled and drops her spoon, "Oh thanks. It's Forever 21. There's a huge one across the street." Lana keeps eye contact short. I only lock eyes with her for a few moments. It's like she's sick. She isn't acting like a normal human being right now. Lana is acting on and off.

I feel like asking her is she is ok but then it hits me like a silver bullet to my soft brain tissue. Lana likes me. Not as a friend, more. I might sound a little narcissistic but she is giving me multiple signs: the staring, the stammering. This is becoming too easy for me now. I stand up and straighten myself out while balancing myself on these high heels. I know what I am thinking is bad, but I can do it. I can pretend to like Lana back so we can do the song together and I get really famous. It's a double win. Lana stands up with me like it is her cue. I start to pretend to like Lana back by putting my arm around her and paying for the coffee. I pick up my leather jacket, "We can go to that Forever 21 you told me about. We should hang out a lot while I'm here," I smile at her.

Lana blushes slightly and puts her arm around me too. Now we're walking like an intimate couple down the streets of New York.