Chapter 1

Park Gyul's Point of View

It's been three days since I left home, and the freedom was incredible. I feel so relaxed that I need not bother being not-so-prim and proper with the consequence of an hour-long retaliation from my father.

Since my departure, I have had no news about my family as well too because I've had my phone turned off.

Although I worry about my mother, for once, I firmly stand by my selfishness and choose myself rather than please them ㅡ to please him.

I've been staying at this cheap motel quite far from the city, about an hour and thirty minutes away. I'll probably stay here for two weeks or until I find a place and a job after being fired on my previous one.

The memory made me scoff.

As soon as I set foot in the office, my boss immediately fired me for some excuse that I don't even recall anymore aside from the fact that they are ridiculous. I'm sure I was fired because of my father's command.

He may have been the reason for my existence, but I hate him.

It's been so suffocating for me. I had no voice of my own and all I ever did was do all the things that he wanted. I was his puppet, not his daughter. He bred my mother to birth a puppet, not to share the beauty of life.

[You know you can stay with me for a while. Living in a motel is a waste of money,] Wendy, a childhood friend of mine, offered. She currently lives on her own. Her family is back in Canada and she decided to stay here in Seoul.

"Then what? Have my family track me there?"

[Oh, that makes sense. Well, if you need anything, just give me a call. I have to go now.]

"Hmmm. Have fun." I was the one to end our call through the telephone inside my room. She's on the way to meet her other friends.

I've decided to go to the nearest convenience store, craving junk food and missing the outside environment after locking myself in my room for two days. And so, I put on a gray hoodie over my black tank top that paired with my sweatpants then headed out of my room, carrying with me my phone and wallet.

As I made my way through the darkness of the night ㅡ the skies were not twinkling with stars due to the probability of rainfall soon ㅡ I felt heavier than usual. I was slightly embraced by fear, but I thought that maybe it is only because this is the first time that I am going out on my own at night. I feel watched ㅡ or maybe followed.

The convenience store is just two streets away from where I am checked in according to what I've been able to search on the internet.

I took a deep breath to calm myself.

Maybe I'm just overthinking.

As I got further away from the hotel, I was more eager to be near the store as the feeling of uneasiness increased.

Should I go back?

I took a deep breath once again and decided to listen to my guts. I stopped in my tracks forward and turned around only to be greeted by a man in a completely black outfit smirking at me. I was given no chance to recognize much from him aside from his voice and his eyes and mouth which were the only visible parts of him through his black mask. He wore a black shirt and aside from the recognizable things mentions, he also had a tattoo on his arm I was not familiar with to distinguish what it is.

My legs automatically took a few slow steps back even if the upper region of my body was in freeze. However, my slow tracks began to pace faster with each step until I was filled with adrenaline and was able to face back and take a run away from the man.