Chapter 4

Park Gyul's Point of View

It's been a week since I left home, and today is the first time that I will be opening my phone to see any updates about my family.

I was expecting floods of notifications regarding my whereabouts, yet to my surprise, I had none from my family. Not even my mother.

Had they abandoned me just because I did not want to marry a man I just met? Or is it really because my father did sell me to Taemin, who ended up sexually assaulting me?

A heavy sigh escaped my lips.

It doesn't matter. I have to pull myself together and find another job because if I don't, I'll run out of money.

I searched through different links, and websites, and even used the newspaper in hopes that I could find an opening. I was already searching for corporate work for hours, until finally, I saw an opening for a secretary which was posted on the page of Sugums Pharmaceuticals. This pharmaceutical company specializes in making drugs in gummy candy forms.

I submitted my resume in their email as instructed, and to my surprise, the response from the hiring manager was quick. It had only taken them a few minutes to view my resume probably. Her response came with an interview schedule immediately tomorrow, first thing in the morning.

"Do I have clothes?" I asked myself and immediately opened my closet to see if I had any formal clothes that I brought from home. Good enough, I brought some with me.

My escape from home ㅡ should it be called home if it was strangling me? ㅡ was a blur to me. When I decided and packed my things, all I ever thought of was to set myself free.

I'm happy to be far away from my family.

The following day, I was waiting again at a table to be served by Suga. Since I was here, he was always the one to serve me my meals.

"You know, cooking at home will save you more money than eating here three times daily." He placed down my bowl of beef noodles in front of me.

I smiled at him. "I know. But as my excuse, my legs hurt these last few days so I'm saving myself the struggle of cooking, okay?" I reasoned out, saying the half-truth and half-hiding that I enjoy looking at him daily to make my day.

"How are you now?" He asked, eyes keenly looking at me as if with just that he could come up with an answer himself.

Nevertheless, I answered him. "I'm fine. My wound is healing well and I barely feel any pain in my injury."

He timidly smiled. "Good to know. Enjoy your meal." He left my table after and I was happy to eat my noodles peacefully.

After my meal, I prepared myself for my interview. I wore a white blouse and a pencil-cut khaki skirt paired with beige stilettos. I tied my natural black and medium-length hair into a half pony with a few strands in front flowing down to shape my face. My makeup was also light, a natural look to define my features and add color to my skin.

Then I looked at my wound which was covered with scabs and wondered if I should cover it with a bandage or just let it be. In the end, I decided to bandage it for protection.

Once I was done, I went down to the garage where my car was parked. Aside from my car, Suga's car was also parked there. He owned a black Honda Civic while I owned a white Tesla Model S. My car feels out of place to where I reside now, and I am considering downgrading my car and selling this Tesla. After all, there is a possibility that I will be recognized and followed by this car.

"But this is the first thing I have ever bought for myself," I said as I caressed its steering wheel.

I sighed, setting aside my thoughts and driving out. I parked my car aside, closed the gates, and then proceeded to Sugums, following my GPS.