Jokes PART11

—Thanks for helping me out, I can't- Oh, watch the cable! —he'd lean his head over.
  —Not a problem, Im not that good with machines, though —Zay scoffed.
Key watched how Zay tightened a screw or two inside his arm's compartment. He looked rather focused, his ears leaned back and his tongue was almost sticking out. Kieran carefully watched him, in awe, as he never really asked for help when it came to this.
  —Hey, can I ask you something. . . kind of personal? —Zay suddenly spoke.
  —Yeah, go for it.
  —Do you. . . miss your arms sometimes? —his voice got quieter by the end.
Key's eyes shifted from looking at him to looking down at his arms.
  —Yeah, I do —he'd sigh.  —But I sometimes feel stronger with these, they're metal, y'know? Im more independent since they have helped me out a lot.
  —But. . . you're asking me for help with this, why's that? —Zayden's eyebrows furrowed in confusion.
  —Okay. . . think about it like this: you wouldn't want anyone touching your limbs, would you? It's something personal, intimate, it's a part of you. You're like a flower, fragile but sturdy, if I wanted someone to take care of my petals, I wouldn't let just anyone near them —he'd chuckle a bit. —And even if you have such claws that are capable of more than I could know, I'd still let you near them. Because I trust you more than anyone, y'know?
Zayden's ear twitched as he listened to him. Analyzing each word and the meaning behind them.
  —You really. . . haven't let anyone else help you out? —he'd look at him for a moment, shifting his head up.
  —Nope. I've never met someone like you —he'd faintly smile, his eyes squinted.
Zayden's tail swayed a bit, moving itself as it bumped against Key's body. He'd look down, continuing as he'd feel his heart beat a bit more rapidly than before.
  —Can I ask you something now, then? —he'd look at his tail.
  —Yeah, of course.
  —Why do you. . . wear so many bandages? —he'd look at his arm.
Zayden halted, taking a second before continuing.
  —Oh. . . —Zayden was a bit surprised.
Key immediately noticed how Zayden didn't feel all that comfortable answering.
  —You don't have to tell me, you know? It's okay —he'd place his hand on his arm.
  —No, I- I do, Kieran —he'd drop whatever he had, placing his hand on top of Key's as it covered it. —I'll do, someday, I owe it to you.
  —Oh, Zay —he'd chuckle, his eyes squinting as he smiled, his voice softening. —You don't owe me anything, okay? Just. . .
  —Hm? —he'd tilt his head slightly.
  —Let me know if you need help changing them, alright? —he said.
And silence filled the room as Zayden didn't know how this moment had suddenly turned so intimate. It reminded him of something he said a few months ago.

  —Then it doesn't matter if ur arms are covered in metal, or bandages, or anything. You've got feelings, they're valid, you're still human.

  —You know, it reminds me of something you said long time ago! —he'd smile, realizing as he remembered, excited.
  —You read my mind —he faintly smiled. —We're done, by the way. Check your fingers.
Kieran lifted his hand up, moving his fingers to see if they would twitch or malfunction.
  —Everything's fine! Thanks again!
  —No problem —Zayden closed the panel attached to the arm. He'd look down at it, inspecting every inch as he wondered how the mechanism worked.
  —How does this even work? —he'd ask. His hand caressing the metal as he'd feel it.
  —Im not that sure either, I was too traumatized to understand it back then so I didn't get any information inside of my head.
  —Huh? Didn't you say you built them yourself?
  —I did! I got them from the hospital, but they were too weak so I upgraded them to this new, more durable version!
  —Hmm. . . they don't hurt you, right?
  —No, of course not! —he'd chuckle. —Although it isn't the first time I've hit myself on accident with them, you saw how miserable that was.
  —Can you feel anything? —he'd pass his hand on top of them.
  —It's. . . uh, a variant answer? I can't. . . —he'd look down at Zay's hand caressing his arm, his heart accelerated for a moment. —. . .but I can, sometimes.
  —I see, okay. Sorry, I've never met someone like you, either.
  —Guess that means we're both pretty unique, right? —he'd smile, his eye looked closed whenever he smiled.
  —Have any plans, then? —Key asked, stretching his back as he'd lean his arms back too.
  —Nope.
  —GREAT! —he squeaked. —Cause I have a few more questions for you, sit tight! —he'd get up from his bed, hopping to the bathroom quickly.
Zayden scratched his back as he'd comfortably on the bed, his tail moving around as he'd wait for Key patiently.
  —Okay! Let's see, first thing first —he'd appear, his hands hiding something behind his back as he'd sit down as well.
  —Key? What do you- —he'd briefly gasp, startled.
Kieran had a hold on Zayden's tail, his robotic fingers brushing through his fur as Zay noticed the brush laying beside him.
  —Do you mind? I saw some knots earlier. . . —he'd look up at him, his eye sparkling as he'd try to convince him.
  —Mmh, sure. . . —his ear twitched, nervously. —Is that all you wanted to ask?
  —Nope, I just wanted to know a bit more about your teammates. The ones that came, what, how many weeks ago? Can't remember.
  —Ah, well. I'll try and list them all, then. . . —he'd pass his hand through the back of his neck, trying to concentrate. But with Key gently brushing his tail, it wasn't possible for him to keep his thoughts straight.