Chapter 13

Hornetclaw yawned as she stepped into the cold light of the sun, leaf-bare was in full effect. Despite the chills and snow, it was a nice day out. Cats were leaving on patrols, enjoying the snow, eating around the fresh-kill pile, all wasn't so bad. She let out a good stretch before heading to the nursery, she hasn't seen Bravehare's kits since they were born, Hornetclaws been busy with hunting and such she hadn't gotten the chance to.

She trotted across the clearing and to the nursery, brushing against the moss that clung to the walls of the burrow. She saw Bravehare and Lakewhisker cuddled close with the kits, but as she entered further, she noticed Ghostglare.

"Hey guys." She smiled sweetly. "Just wanted to check in on the kits."

Flintkit and Russetkit shambled their way towards her, smiling.

"Hi Hornetclaw!" Flintkit's mew was so little. "You're giant!"

Hornetclaw snickered, all amused. "Well soon you'll be as big as me, and as strong as me!"

"Woah, really?" Russetkit's eyes lit up.

"Maybe even bigger." She purred, before turning to Ghostglare. "What are you doing in here?"

"Checking on Bravehare, seeing how she's recovering." He said dryly.

"What's sweet of you, the kits seem happy as well, they're so lively." She grinned, watching them circle around her legs.

It's been a minute since the clan had new kits, and she missed it. When Rubblepaw, Daisypaw, and Maplepaw were born, it was a spectacle, she enjoyed playing with them and telling them stories. She had hoped Daisypaw would be her apprentice, but she was given to Emberstep.

Maybe one of these kits could be her apprentice, all she could do was hope. She gave the kits a couple sweet licks before heading out of the nursery. Without warning, Clovermist jumped in front of her, followed by Redrunner.

"It's happening! It's finally happening!" He hopped and jumped for joy.

"What's happening?" Hornetclaw questioned, but he was too excited to hear her.

"I'm so proud of him! It's happening after all these moons!" He yowled.

Ghostglare appeared behind Horneyclaw, groaning. "Why is he yelling?"

Redrunner chuckled, before breaking the news to them. "The apprentices are becoming warriors today!"

Hornetclaw and Ghostglare perked up with they realized, they all cuddled close to Clovermist, cheering for him.

"They're out on their assessment right now! I can't wait to see Rubblepaw become a warrior, I'm so proud! It felt like yesterday I was on Wetrock touching noses with him and becoming his mentor, now he's all grown up!" Clovermist's voice started to crack.

"I'm happy for you! It must me so amazing watching your apprentice grow." Hornetclaw nuzzled against his shoulder.

"It is, when you get an apprentice, you'll be just like me!" Clovermist pushed his head against hers in response.

The group continued to praise Clovermist, they were all so happy for their friend. Hornetclaw couldn't wait to get an apprentice, she could only imagine the pride and joy he felt right now. She really hoped that Flintkit or Russetkit would grow up to be her apprentice. She just couldn't wait. Their loving words were interrupted by the commanding yowl of Timberstar atop Wetrock.

"May all cats old enough to catch their own prey please gather beneath Wetrock!" The leader called.

"It's happening!" Clovermist whispered, before slipping away and dashing towards the clearing.