Chapter 14

The moon stood tall against the glittered night sky, its light illuminating the snow that slept against the earth. All was still, the wind was that of a gentle breeze, the clouds crept silently across the sky. All was silent as Clovermist snuck out of the warrior's den as he's done night after night for moons, meeting up with his forbidden friend.

Night after night, he steals from the fresh-kill pile to bring to Briarstalker, keeping her well-fed in these harsh times. He looked over his shoulder at his clan, silent as a grave, before slipping into the frost and ice.

His paws made divots in the snow as he traveled down the treeline that separated MarshClan and ShadeClan, and towards the Starless Meadow, like he did over and over. Each night that passed, more risk was added. Hornetclaw had caught him once or twice, either leaving camp or arriving back in the morning. Clovermist had never been a good liar, so she knew he was up to something, but she never fully questioned him.

Clovermist finally arrived at the meeting spot, and for once, he was there first. He slumped down against the truck of a tree, waiting. Not long after he arrived, Briarstalker emerged from the woodland.

"Sorry! Some stuff I needed to take care of." She huffed.

"No worries, I wasn't waiting long." Clovermist beckoned her with his tail.

Briarstalker chewed on the plump mouse he brought for her, but she didn't finish it. She cuddled close with him like she did time and time again, purring sweetly and warmed by his fur. This time, the pair didn't speak for a while, they both knew this couldn't last forever. They enjoyed one another for as long as they could.

The more Clovermist visited her, the more he realized how wrong it was, but he was too far gone. After hours of silence, Briatstalker spoke.

"I know I shouldn't, but I need to tell you something that happened at my camp earlier today. I shouldn't tell you my clan's affairs, but I fear it will involve you as well." She gazed into his eyes.

Clovermist listened intently, nodding for her to continue.

"Thornstar visited my clan today." Her voice was monotone and serious. "She spoke with Owlstar, and I listened in on their meeting."

"What happened?" Clovermist sat up slightly, concerned.

"Remember the rumor that spread about Owlstar? How he was retiring soon? She came because of that, saying that cats are after his title and his land, and that they should form an alliance in case that happened." Briarstalker spoke carefully, trying to remember exactly what happened. "Owlstar refused, saying he was more than capable to defend his territory, and he didn't wish to form a secret alliance. She mentioned HeatherClan was in on it too, but he opposed it even more."

"Then that's good he refused, that's one less ally she has right?" Clovermist hoped for the best, but Briarstalker's face said otherwise.

"Well when she left his den, she ran into our deputy, Blackstorm. She told him Owlstar is getting old, and soon he will need to retire, that she heard rumors of ShadeClan cats planning on usurping the title and traveling to Highstones. Thornstar told him to convince Owlstar to reconsider their alliance, and knowing Owlstar's loyalty to his deputy, I bet they're working together now." Briarstalker placed her paws on his shoulder, with a firm look.

"If HeatherClan and ShadeClan are working with Thornstar, I doubt MarshClan will be in on this. I wish I could tell Timberstar."

"Why can't you?"

"He'll know I got this information from you, he'll know I've been sneaking away and sharing secrets with the enemy."

"What if you say you overheard at Gatherings?"