3 - Mate

Everly POV

Mate. A simple four-letter word. By definition should be like pal or friend. But in this universe, it is the most magical word for Supernatural creatures and the most feared word for humans. You learn in school from first year about the concept of mates. The law requires every human and supernatural to learn about both realms. Sex Ed is a really fun subject in high school. Note the sarcasm. 

Mate. The four-letter word that binds you to someone forever. Most supernatural's have what is called Fated Mates. Like a soul mate chosen by the supernatural deities from the beginning of time, other creatures choose their partner but unlike conventional human marriages, these bonds are irreversible and forever. There is no such thing as divorce for these creatures, but it doesn't mean they are monogamous. Many creatures have fated and chosen mates together. Mixed breeds are rare but not as rare as fated human mates. Humans are often chosen as mates.

I guess that is what the humans at the EverMate ball must be for. To be a possible chosen mate or maybe blood-bags for the creatures who need a special meal. Why else would the Oracle choose specific girls each year only to return some of them?

"Mate" is all I heard, and my mind started to spin. King Lucian stepped into my personal bubble space and swiftly locked a large muscular arm around my waist, clinching me close so I was flush with his chest. I am mesmerized by his glowing golden eyes.

As I realize what happened and before I can protest, my saving grace appears from thin air. "EVERLY!" Stella. Thank all the supernatural deities for Stella! "There you are, omg! You look beautiful!" She begins to rant, pulling me casually from King Lucian's grasp, he too stunned to react immediately. I can't help but smile at her. "You will never guess! I met my mate! His name is Jax and like 12 on the hotness scale. His name is Jaxel and..." a deep throat is cleared, stopping Stella's rant directing her attention to the mountain of a man near me.

Her eyes practically bug out of her head. I look to my right to see King Lucian giving her a scolding look, with a bit of a puckered tight lip and raised eyebrows.

Stella immediately let my hands go and bowed at her waist. "Y-your Ma-majesty." She squeals out. Stella never stutters. She has always been the strong one. This King is really intimidating to me so I can only imagine how powerful he must be to make someone like Stella want to submit in fear.

"Rise" he commands boredly, and she obeys. I can't help but let a shutter visibly flow through my whole body when he speaks. If I thought I was being subtle, I wasn't. He totally saw it and smirked. Damn him!

Before the King can utter another word a tall muscles man walks up and wraps his arms around Stella while scolding her "where did you go to little mate? I was looking for you!" I could almost hear a growl escape him and his eyes fluttered to a black color, the color of his beast.

"Jax" was then said by King Lucian. It was casual yet commanding. I shuttered again.

"Boss?" This Jax guy who must be Stella's new mate said like a question, clearly not expecting the King to have Ben mingling. He inclined his head in reverence but didn't make any other moves.

"I guess congratulations are in order. You have found your mate?" King Lucian asks politely. I notice how as he talks that he too begins to place a protective arm around my waist again. I want to get out of his hold but know better than to resist. My heart is like a jackhammer. I am sure everyone can hear it. Stella raises her eyebrows at me. I close my eyes briefly trying to take a deep breath to steady my heart.

"Yes, Your Majesty. This is Stella, my star" Jax beams with a smile on his face and then kisses Stella on her head.

"Well then, I look forward to seeing her at the palace. Since she is already associated with my mate, she can a Lady-in-waiting" King Lucian states matter of fact.