Chapter One

I walked into the busy Starbucks with my friend Christina, inhaling the rich aroma of freshly brewed coffee and pastries. "Mmm, it smells good in here," I said, taking a deep breath.

Christina nodded in agreement. "I know right? It's one of my favourite places in New Kingston."

The sound of the espresso machine and milk frother filled the air, creating a constant hum of activity. We weaved our way through the crowd of people, scanning the menu on the wall for our favourite drinks. Why are so many people always in here? Jesus Christ!

"What are you getting?" Christina asked, her eyes scanning the menu.

"I think I'll get a caramel macchiato," I said, pointing to the menu board. "How about you?"

"I'll do a latte with almond milk," Christina replied, smiling at the friendly barista taking our order.

We watched as the barista expertly crafted our drinks, steaming milk and swirling caramel syrup in the frothing pitcher. As we waited, we found a cosy spot by the window, overlooking the bustling street outside.

"I love the artwork in here," I said, admiring the colourful scenes of Jamaican life and culture on the walls.

"Me too," Christina agreed. As we chatted about our plans for the day, we soaked in the sights, sounds, and smells of the bustling Starbucks. Despite the hectic atmosphere, the warmth and energy of the café made us feel at home. We couldn't help but feel grateful to be in such a vibrant and lively place.

"Hey, you know seh Josh propose to Abby?" She spoke. "See she post it on Instagram this morning."

"What? Long time now him fi do that." I squealed, almost choking on my drink. I immediately took out my phone to congratulate her on her engagement. "Wonder when them ago married?"

"I have no idea," Christina said, taking a quick sip of her latte. "Knowing Abby, dem ago married by November."

That's like three months away. "I wonder if Akeem knows." I laugh. Did he know his cousin was going to propose?

Christina leaned forward in her chair. She placed her elbows down on the table with her chin pressed against her palms. "Speaking of Akeem." She starts, "Wah gwan fi him?"

I sighed, putting my phone down and shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know. He's been acting weird lately." I admitted, "Like he doesn't want to spend time with me anymore."

Akeem Bartley, my boyfriend of five years. Josh introduced us to each other back when I was nineteen and we started dating soon after. We were doing well until a couple of months ago he started acting weird. Like coming home late, going out to parties that I was never invited to and putting his phone on silent. He even changed his password. I've never done that; not like I have anything to hide from him.

"I told him that I was spending the weekend with you and ever since I left the apartment yesterday, he hasn't checked on me once." I complained, "Him not even ask if mi reach your house safe."

"That doesn't sit well with me one bit." She gasped, "Come call him right now."

I hesitated for a moment, not wanting to seem too clingy or paranoid, but my friend's urgency made me realize that something might be seriously wrong. I grabbed my phone and dialled Akeem's number. It rang for what felt like an eternity before he finally picked up.

"Hey," he said casually as if nothing was wrong. Just hey? No babe or baby anymore huh?

"Hey," I replied, trying to keep my voice steady. "I just wanted to check in and see how you're doing."

"I'm good, just chilling out at home," he said nonchalantly. "I'm not feeling well right now, can I call you back later?"

"Oh-Okay, cool," I said, trying to hide my suspicion. "Just wanted to let you know that I'm safe and sound at Christina's place."