Chapter Two

"I don't know what to do," I said, my voice shaking. "I don't know where to go."

"Come stay with me," she said immediately. "Or if you want, you could stay with your father, just to clear your head for a bit."

After my mother died when I was eleven, he sent me away to the country to live with my grandma. I didn't understand his work then and I hated him for sending me away. But after the murder of my mother and him being a private investigator, I couldn't imagine what sort of things they were prying into. I understand now that it was safer to let me leave. Though, I haven't spoken to him in a while now. I'm not sure if he would think I'm just using him because I'm in a tough spot. I miss him.

"I think I'll explain it to my dad and go and stay with him for a while," I said finally. "Just until I can find an apartment. Thanks for offering though." I said wiping away my tears into the of my blouse. "I appreciate it."

"Of course," she said smiling. "And don't worry about that guy. You deserve so much better."

I took a deep breath and nodded. "I know."

I know I deserve better than this. But right now, I don't think I'll ever trust another man again. Where would I even start?

"I'll take you to your dad's place now, okay?" She said and I could only nod my head. I pressed my head against the window and just stared outside. My eyes didn't focus on anything. All I did was stare. I feel miserable. I am a twenty-four-year-old lawyer who made a man that couldn't even get a job for two years, embarrass me like this. I took care of him when he didn't have a job and loved him for what he was. Five years in a relationship and he couldn't even propose to me. I scoffed. Maybe it was meant to happen. I needed something to make me realize it was not worth it anymore.

It was already night when we got to my father's street. She parked in front of his house, and I got out.

"I'll be right back," I told her as I spun on my heel and headed towards the gate. That's when I heard Ruby barking at me. She was a mix of German Shepherd and Rottweiler, with a short dense coat that was black and brown.

I wonder if she remembers me. She couldn't have forgotten me that quickly. After she finally realized that it was me, she ran towards me and wagged her tail. I knelt began to pet her broad square head and rubbed her muscular back.

"I didn't know you were coming, or else mi would a tie her up around the back." My father said. "Long time mi nuh see you."

"Hi Daddy," I said as I stood up to greet him properly. "I know- I should've called you but I felt like it was something I had to ask in person."

I couldn't help the fact that my voice trembled when I spoke to him. I felt nervous. Maybe I should've taken Christina's offer. I never thought this would be so awkward.

"You can ask me anything, Mimi." He smiled and I couldn't hold it in anymore. I started to cry, and he came and embraced me.

"Akeem," I choked, "Cheated on me."

My father's arms tightened around me as he held me close. "Oh, Mimi," he said, his voice gentle and full of empathy. "Come, let's go inside and talk about it."

We made our way to the couch, and my father pulled me close to him as we sat. "Tell mi everything," he said softly, and I began to pour out my heart to him. I told him how I had found out about Akeem's infidelity, and how devastated I was. I told him how I had thought Akeem was the one, how I had planned my future with him, and how lost and alone I felt now that everything had fallen apart.

My father listened patiently, nodding, and offering words of comfort when I needed them. When I was done, he took my hand in his and looked me in the eyes. "Mimi," he said, "Don't ever be afraid to ask me for anything. Of course, you can stay with me."