Chapter Five

Hey Guys! I just wanted to thank everyone for your votes, comments and support. No, I didn't forget the book lol I've just been busy with a few internships. Thanks again for the support! I hope you enjoy this chapter.❤️

***

"What was I thinking!" I said as I groaned into my pillow

"What was I thinking!" I said as I groaned into my pillow. "I'm not ready to start dating again...What if I can't trust again?"

"Oh, my God!" Christina yelled as she dug through my closet. "We'll find something."

I wasn't sure what to wear on the date-maybe I didn't have anything at all. Everything just screamed boring...and plain. So, I called her earlier and confessed that I wasn't sure about the date anymore.

"Is this a sign? Why mi say yes!"

"Calm down nuh!" She laughed. "Don't worry about it. It'll be fine."

I folded my legs under me and pressed my palm against my cheek. "Yea," I mumbled. I felt bad about the thought of cancelling the date I have with him.

"You should be worried about why you barely have nuh sexy dress." She muttered, "Is what? Akeem never like carry you out?"

"Jesus Christ Tina!"

Akeem and I went out a lot when we first started dating. Then after we moved in together things started to go downhill. He always had an excuse, like we should save up for when we bought a house together. He always gave me hope that someday he would have asked me to marry him. I really thought I knew him, but he just wasted years of my time. It felt like a part of me died that day I found out about Paula and him.

"You know, sometimes I miss him." I blurted as I gazed through the window. I got lost in my thoughts. That was until Christina's voice broke through them, bringing me back to the present.

"Hmm, miss who?" She asked. Her voice was laced with curiosity and concern. I instantly regretted saying it. I knew she wasn't going to let it go. I had to tell her.

I sighed deeply and hesitated to find the right words to vocalize the conflicting emotions that swirled within me.

"Akeem," I confessed softly, almost as if admitting it would make it more real. "Maybe I miss him."

Her eyes widened slightly. She seemed taken aback by what I had just admitted to her. I sighed disappointed with myself. But her expression soon softened, and she moved closer to me, offering a comforting presence.

"You don't miss him," she gently reassured me. Her voice carried a soothing tone, one I truly appreciated. "You miss who he was."

Her words struck a chord within me, resonating deep in my heart. It was true. I missed the version of Akeem I thought I knew—the one who made me laugh uncontrollably, the one who held my hand and made me feel safe, the one who shared my dreams and aspirations. But that version of him had changed over time, revealing sides I never knew existed.