Chapter Three

I was up working late when I heard my phone ringing. It was Christina. I quickly picked up the phone and answered her.

"Hey Tina, what's up?" I asked cheerfully.

"Not much, I just wanted to catch up," She replied, feeling happy to hear her friend's voice. "How's work going?"

"Girl don't ask please." I laughed, at least I'm almost finished with the work I had gotten this week. I'll even be free on the weekend if I finish them fast enough.

She laughed and replied, "I know the feeling." She paused for a moment before she continued, "I wanted to ask you something, so please don't say no."

"Sure," I said. "What it is?" I wondered if it was something serious.

"I know it's late, but my father is holding a fundraiser for charity tomorrow and I want you to come with me." She explained.

"Tomorrow?" I asked her as I palmed the back of my neck. "I have work tomorrow, but what time?"

"Girl nuh muss after you done work!" She replied and I giggled. I look down at my desk, seeing all the work I had to get done. I wonder if I can finish them in time to go with her. I could finish them on Saturday?"

"Okay just pick me up around seven," I said.

Christina's father, David Powell, was undoubtedly one of the most prominent businesspeople in Jamaica. He owned two non-profit organizations including a popular restaurant, "Powell's Place". I respected him for his philanthropic efforts and dedication to making a difference in people's lives. I'm sure Christine is very proud of her father.

I came out of my room and saw my father baking a cake. He looked confused like it was his first time trying.

My eyes widened when I realized he was trying to bake a red velvet cake. When I was younger, I told him that it was my favourite dessert and though it is still the same I thought he had forgotten.

"That looks good," I said as I sat on the stool and leaned against the marble-tiled counter. "You need help?"

"No, it's fine. I was just baking this for you," He explained. "So just sit back and relax."

It was nice spending time like this with him. When I lived with my grandma in the country, I didn't see him often. He only ever visited when he could. I never had a bad childhood, but it was a lonely one. I still don't know the details behind my mother's death and why my father sent me away. I want to ask him about it sometime, but I'll wait.

When the cake finally cooled down, he cut into it giving me the first slice. He seemed very pleased with it.

"How is it, Mimi?" He asked.

I took a bite and grinned at him. "Mmm, it's good!" I said as I went in for another bite.

He sighed. "I always wanted to bake you one." He admitted, "I'm glad you like it."

We say in silence for a while just eating the cake he had made. It was a bit too sweet, but it's just like how grandma used to make it. I miss her.

"I'm sorry," he said all of a sudden. " For sending you away when you were younger."

"It's fine Daddy," I replied, stabbing at the bit of cake I had left on my dish.

But he only shook his head. "I couldn't protect you like a father should have been able to." He admitted, "I didn't want to put your life in any danger. So, I had to."

"How dangerous was it?" I really wanted to know. Just so I could finally understand what happened that year.

"My job isn't the safest," he began. "But then I learned about a specific man and your mother, and I got too deep."