Look at me

The first thing Blanche had to do - well, she and Snape, who avoided her like the plague, had to do - was to find the weak spot in the protective barrier that surrounded the school. She had asked Minerva for a map of the school, and she had provided her with an accurate, unofficial map that she had acquired many years prior; it was the legendary Marauder's Map.

Unprofessional? Yes. Effective? Absolutely.

The funny thing about this map was that she could see everyone's location inside the school in real-time. It almost felt illegal, but it was for a good cause, wasn't it?

There was something calming about being able to see everyone at any given time. She finally felt like she had a grip on reality; control issues who?

It made Blanche feel a bit mischievous, and she really enjoyed that feeling. Her years at Hogwarts had been kind of uneventful, as she had been a diligent student; she was focused on her studies, also because her family encouraged her overachieving tendencies, often with questionable methods, and she didn't pay much attention to other students. Sometimes she regretted it, as she felt like she missed out on something: silly pranks, teenage drama... but it was too late, and she found herself to be an adult before she knew it.

Well, she wasn't behaving exactly how an adult should, lately, but a certain someone was putting her patience to the test.

I won't be sabotaged by an emotionally stunted man.

It was Friday night when she finally decided to try the map. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

Well, false, but whatever. The castle's map appeared on the paper, as well as its hosts. She chuckled. Everyone appeared to be where they should have been; that was until she saw a familiar name.

Narcissa Malfoy.

She was in the dungeons, right next to Snape's name. In his study. Blanche was shocked. Without a second thought, she stormed out of her room, walking through the corridors with long strides. "LUMOS!" she roared, grabbing her wand while speeding down the halls. She straight up ignored two students out of their dormitory, who ran away the moment they saw her angrily strutting towards them.

Actually, she wasn't just angry. She was panicking. What the fuck?

She didn't even know what to say when she'd be there, she just ran without thinking. Finally, she saw Snape's door and immediately opened it with a kick.

Snape was alone, standing in the center of the room.

"Where is she?" she hissed. He looked at her like she was crazy, and to be honest, she looked the part. Out of breath, she didn't put her wand away, holding it spasmodically; she could feel her hair scattered on her face. Her blouse wasn't on straight and crumpled; her collar was unbuttoned, but to hell with all that.

Snape opened his mouth, caught by surprise. Before he could speak, Blanche raised her wand menacingly. "WHERE IS SHE?" she screamed with a cracked voice. She was livid.

Snape quickly reached for his wand, but Blanche was faster. "EXPELLIARMUS!"

Snape was instantly disarmed, and he took a step back, looking startled, a hand reaching for the table behind him.

In a split second, she was inches away from him, violently pushing her wand against his neck; he was forced to lean on the table, completely shocked.

"Are you completely insane?" he whispered, raising his hands. "Answer me." spat Blanche, without losing her grip. She could feel his breathing accelerate on her wrist.

"I don't know what you're talking about", he murmured. His hands were still raised, but he seemed to be almost sure that she wouldn't hurt him. Arrogant of him.

"Narcissa", she hissed, pushing further. Anger inflamed her, and she felt her wand getting warmer in her hand. Hearing that name, Snape's eyes widened for an instant. With her being so close, he couldn't hide his surprise.

Suddenly, a strange smell filled the air. She recognized it instantly, and an image flashed before her eyes; her father's eyes, instead of Snape's, were watching her in horror. Burnt flesh.

"Oh God," she whispered, suddenly losing her grip on the wand. She took two shaky steps back.

Snape didn't lose his temper. Instead, he just took a hand to his neck, carefully touching the bruise Blanche's wand had left in silence. He slowly put his hands down, and he tried to pull himself up from the table.

Blanche snapped out of her stupor and pointed her wand in his direction again. "Stand still and talk."

She wasn't thinking straight, and she was aware of that, but she didn't care.

He parted his lips, without daring to look away, but he didn't say anything.

"Did you sabotage the barrier?" She hissed. He raised his eyebrows. "No," he said firmly.

"I don't believe you." Replied Blanche immediately, with a hint of doubt in her voice. "You should. Now... put down... that wand," he uttered, lowering his voice.

Blanche was still angry, but her rage was quickly fading, leaving the place to frustration and sadness. She hesitantly lowered the wand, just starting to realize what she had done.

A red mark was left on Snape's neck. He silently walked around the table, slowly picking up his wand from the wooden floor and putting it away, well aware that she was keeping a close eye on his every move.

"Speak," ordered Blanche, slightly shaking.

Snape frowned, and after a couple of seconds, he replied: "Nothing comes for free, Less. You couldn't possibly understand". He hesitated, but he didn't add anything else.

"You have no idea."

She was tempted again to tell him the truth about her, that she could understand way more than he thought was possible. She wanted to tell him that she saw right through him, even if she didn't know how to read his attitude.

Blanche felt conflicted. She didn't trust him one bit, yet he was the only person that could, maybe, understand.

"You arrogant, petulant woman. You... have no idea," he murmured, almost pained.

Blanche couldn't bear it anymore. She had nothing left to lose. Her family found her, and apparently, it wasn't only them. Her safe space was gone. She had sacrificed everything just to be found again like it was nothing. Maybe it was him that sold her out, and in that case, he already knew, so what was the point of being silent?

Her heart dropped.

She impulsively let down her occlumens and hysterically yelled: "LOOK AT ME".

Snape was startled. Blanche was panting, visibly shaken from the whole scene, but she decidedly came forward. He tried to look away, but she hissed: "Look. at. me", as she cupped his face with her trembling hands, forcing him to look her in the eye.

His eyes were expressing an indecipherable emotion. Was it pity? Fear? Shock? Anger?

She felt like she could drop a penny in those black pits, and never find it again.

He slowly put a firm hand on her shoulder, and he whispered: "Legilimens."