Idea 4: A Story About The Seven Deadly Sins

A few years ago, I saw a Reddit writing prompt about the seven deadly sins. I really can't remember the exact context, but it was something about them being physical entities and also being roommates with some poor guy. And it got me thinking, what if they weren't just entities, but spirits? Or maybe demons? And then I cranked out a very rough draft that I never got around to finishing. 

~~~

I sat on the floor, an old Persian rug creating a barrier between my behind and the splintered wood beneath. Hugging my knees tighter to my chest, I let another tear fall and tilted my head back. It hit the wall behind me with a dull thud, but it didn't hurt.

Or maybe it did. I couldn't tell.

All I knew was that he was gone, really gone. And nothing could ever hurt more than that.

"Knock-knock,"

A voice came from the doorway, but I didn't have to look up to know who it belonged to. That manly pitch mixed with effeminate inflection could only come from one person--the only person left on Earth I was close to.

"Go away, Cam," I grumbled, throwing an arm over my eyes.

He didn't need to see me like this; all heartbroken and depressed. Hell, I didn't even wanna see me like this. But he wasn't going anywhere, and deep down, it made me smile.

"No chance, hot pants." He chirped, placing something on the office desk next to me. "We've got a business to run, and you need to caffeinate."

Caffeine?

I finally peered up to see a large, brown paper cup sitting on the desk, steam seeping from the black lid.

"Irish?" I asked, grimacing at the hoarseness in my voice.

Grinning, Cam picked up the cup to hand it over. "Of course. Thought you could use it after the week you've had."

I hadn't realized I was cold until the hot, whiskey ladened coffee warmed me from the inside out. I took another sip before setting it back up on the desk, and carefully got to my feet.

"Did you say we had a business to run?" I asked, smirking at my friend.

He was smiling a Cheshire smile as he draped an arm over my shoulder. "Dearest, Natalie. I promised to always stick by ya, didn't I? That promise wasn't conditional." He stopped, his demeanor suddenly changing from playful to solemn. "If you really want to keep your grandpa's shop open, then I'll help."

I gazed up at him, truly grateful for his goofy ass. Now that Grandpa was gone, Cam was the only person I had left. He was my only family.

"You realize you made that promise in the second grade, right?" I asked playfully.

"Yeah," he nodded, his goofy nature slowly returning. "I remember all too well."

So did I.

~~~ 

I don't even think I came up with a blurb for this, but the premise is that this girl, Natalie, inherited her grandfather's antique shop after he died. Basically, she ends up opening something she shouldn't have and inadvertently releases the disembodied essence (is that a redundancy?) of the seven deadly sins. 

They find human hosts, chaos and silliness ensues, and eventually they start turning good while corrupting Natalie. 

I'm not sure when/if I'll ever write this, but I just wanted to at least wanted to devote a chapter to it so I would forget. And who knows, maybe it'll inspire someone to write a story like this. Lord knows my lazy ass ain't gonna do it anytime soon 😂