CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

I was rudely awakened by a family saying they needed to wash there cloths right now at five in the morning.

It wasn't any different then the mornings I woke up in this house full of tenants. My place on the washer and dryer was better then some folks who slept in the bathrooms.

This house kept sixty people each person over age fifteen paying 50$ a week. The people under paying a mere 10$ which I felt bad for the parents who had over five children.

The two people who let us stay was Mrs. Kelp and Mr.Kelp they stayed home and made food and cleaned the place paying the bills with the money each tenant payed.

It cost an extra two dollars for each meal so I just didn't eat not like I ever had. It wasn't bad there it was just crowded it had the laundry room, the living room, kitchen, Kelp's room, three bathrooms one for the girls one for the boys and one is the kelps two rooms and a dining room that had a table which the food was placed on and chairs all over the place so we could eat all at once.

Each of the two rooms was one for the girls one for the boys each one had four bunks but a bed cost an extra 20$ a week. In each room they also had a wall filled with lockers. It was childish but as convenient as it was each person had there own locker. Most girls changed in the bedroom.

Which was were I was headed now as my sleeping place that didn't cost me extra was being used. When I got in there there were already ten people bustling around some just getting back from a night shift. I went to my locker using the key I kept around my neck and also entering my combination. I grabbed a change of cloths black skinny jeans and my work shirt for Subway since I had a shift today.

I changed in the room glad I'd showered last night. It cost 3$ for a ten minute shower with your own shower supplies. I showered every day something I thought was worth the money.

I slipped on my black old vans that I'd had for three years. I then locked my locker putting my pjs in it and grabbing my hair brush, tooth brush ,tooth paste, deodorant, perfume, bar of soap, make up and straightener.

I kept my non shower bathroom supplies in a zip up hand held bag. It was early enough for the bathroom to not be overly crowded but still have some people sleeping in there the people who slept in the showers were up the earliest. The bathrooms had one giant room for a shower which wasn't great for me due to all the scars.

They had ten mirrors with sinks beneath them. Plus fifteen toilets. I stood behind a girl whose name I didn't know. When she was done I started getting ready. I had a pixie cut that was dyed turquoise pale skin and grey eyes.

After doing my hair and brushing my teeth and washing my face I started doing my make-up. I put on dark eyeshadow than black eyeliner. Then applied my mascara. I quickly put on deodorant and my Axe spray. I looked behind me to see a line of girls sometimes people would pay each other to jump the line if they were in a hurry.

I put all my stuff away then headed back to the bedroom I put everything in my locker grabbing my watch putting it around my wrist and my purse.

I checked the time it was six my shift started at nine and went till three. I then realised it was Friday I had to pay my stay at the house before I left. In the dining room I saw Mrs.Kelp with her list of names. Then a long line fir paying I quickly pulled two twentys and a ten out of my purse.

I waited, and waited finally I was in the front. "Miss. Iris I see you have your pay this week you should stay for breakfast dear you never do." She told me. I cringed at the use of my last name.

"You know I eat at work plus I do have to get to work soon." I told her lying with my thick Irish accent handing her the money. Then walking through the the crowd filling in for breakfast.

I ran into Ren a man from Russia he was very perverted and had raped me once while I was here. He smiled "Hi Iphgenia how are you?" He said smiling at me looking at my boobs.

I pushed past him but he grabbed me. I screamed that was enough to get the attention of some of the nicer guys who got him off me.

"Thank you." I told them with a smile then glared at Ren. I walked through more people.

Once I made it to the living room I saw a family of five all messing with each other. It reminded me how alone I was in this world and why I was so depressed. I subconsciously pulled down my sleeves in my gray zip up jacket as to not show anyone my self inflicted scars or the ones Tom or Miss.Cara had given to me back at the Orphanage. Even though most girls had seen them already in the showers.

Once I was out the house I walked carefully down the roads of New York till I got to the Subway I got there at 7:50 luckily.

------------------------------

My shift at subway was exhausting with rude New Yorkers. Now I had a shift from 4:00 11:00 at the cafe Zeaf that sold coffee and pastries and such.

I got out of Subway at 3:15 it's took me 30 minutes to walk to Zeaf meaning I'd get there at 3:45.

It was June, 29 2015 and I remembered my first year in America with my birthday on July 4. I thought it was amazing it was a holiday here.

So many Fireworks, I remember being disappointed I couldn't find a place to stay until one day on a bench outside Mrs.Kelp found me and told me I could stay for 50$ a week and I told her I'd find a job and get on it.

I was behind for a while but then I caught up on the routine and was doing fine. I realized I had entered the quant cafe through the back already. I changed in the employees room into my plain black shirt with Zeaf on the front and no name tag unlike the others pulling my grey jacket over my scars.

I waited tables for a while until a giant group of boys and girls my age came in. There were two girls and three boys. Each girl blonde and beautiful. All the guys tan and had blonde hair. All of them had brown eyes except the one without a girl. Which was odd due to him being the cutest.

I was bisexual but I'd never been in a relationship except one with a girl but that's a story for another time.

With that I built some courage and walked over to the booth that held the people who looked like models.