Chapter 20.1 - Stepping on Graves

- AHMED -

I stood next to Irina, and the two of us watched as Sam and Steven backed out of the driveway. As the air whistled icily, I threw Irina an uncertain look.

"Do you think they'll be okay?"

She unfolded her arms. "If I'm being honest, Ahmed, I have no idea. I just hope they don't do anything stupid. Whoever's stalking us is out for blood."

I lowered my eyes. "Irina, come on..."

"What, Ahmed? It's the truth."

"Yeah, I know. It's just...you seem different, Irina. Did something happen, or—?"

"Ahmed, I'm fine. I'm just...mad—and scared. Scared for me, and for you...for Sam..."

I sighed. "You didn't sound too scared for him five minutes ago—"

"Do not start with me," she trilled. "I've been nothing but concerned for him. He's the one who screamed at me and wouldn't answer my calls for weeks."

"But he was scared, Irina, and you know that. Plus, all the stuff he knows about Lane might just help us find her."

"If she's even alive."

"Sam seemed to think she was—and as crazy as it is, it really does make sense."

Irina paused, sniffled lightly.

"Irina, are you oka—"

"Yes, Ahmed!" she trilled again. "I told you I'm fine!" She reached inside her purse, lifted her keys. "Let's just do this already. If we hurry, we might still be able to catch my mom at Chadwick's."

I trudged outside behind her to her car, tucking my head between my shoulders and keeping in step as I followed.

She pressed her key fob. The lights flashed, and the doors unlocked.

I opened the passenger seat and slid inside, just as Irina took the wheel.

"Want me to turn on the heat?" she asked once we were situated, her hand gliding to the air conditioner. "Are you cold?"

No, but you're being pretty icy right now. I shook my head. "I'm okay."

When I looked up from the floor, watched Irina's hand trace from the AC back to the steering wheel, I saw that same bright glint I'd noticed a few weeks ago—the glimmer of pale light reflected by a single blond strand.

I was still, silent, biting back the one question now scratching at my brain.

I glanced out the passenger window, did my best to avert my attention.

Green leaves turned black by the night hung over the road as we drove, passing by in a blur. In moments, we were almost to the edge of the subdivision, to the stop light suspended in the cool air. The bright lamp posts on either side of the approaching archway exit grew closer and closer until—

Huh?

Beyond the traffic light and to the right, blue and white flashed on the side of the road, followed shortly by the familiar whirr of police car sirens.

"...Um...Irina—?"

The tires screeched beneath us, Irina's car scraping to a halt.

"It's a stop point," she breathed. "The cops—they must be checking everyone leaving the neighborhood." She reached forward, clicked off her lights. "Ahmed, put your head down."

"What, wh—?"

"Now!"

I ducked, covered my head with my hands as the car kicked into reverse before turning sideways and bolting off.