3. Within Boundaries

I wake up with a clench in my stomach and fear in my heart. I force myself to calm down.

I think about the dream and shudder again.

It was a regular Sunday morning. I would accompany my parents to a Candor meeting, as usual.

But, I had just discovered about Mirabelle and Jordan. I was a tad apprehensive to see her. I had never stopped liking her, after all that I had seen about her.

As soon as we enter the huge hall, Mirabelle silently pleads with her eyes, asking me to come out. I agree and we slip out, much to our parents' apprehension.

We walk to the park, side by side. It feels just like the old times, but not quite. I attempt to hold her hand, but she shoots me a look that warns me not to.

When we do reach the park, I sit down on a bench, motioning for her to do the same. She smiles and sits down next to me.

We just sit in a moment of silence. She first breaks it by saying, "I have noticed you this entire week, Al! You haven't eaten or slept properly. Even now, I can see your hollow cheeks and the shadows underneath your eyes, and I feel guilty that I have caused it. What can I do to set it right?"

I don't reply. Suddenly I feel some heat from my side. I turn to see what caused it, only to see her face dangerously close to mine.

I stare into her eyes for a minute, and then with some underlying hesitation, she seals the gap between our mouths.

After what seems like an eternity, I hear a gasp, followed by a slow cough behind us.

We break apart reluctantly, and I see Jordan standing behind us.

Mirabelle gets up from the bench suddenly, and rushes forward, starting to explain to him.

But Jordan doesn't look like he needs any explanation. I recognize that ferocious look on his face, the one that adorned my own face when I first saw them making out in a classroom.

I back away slowly, but Jordan doesn't look like he can contain himself any longer. I hasten my pace, looking at Mirabelle, making sure she is safe, though it doesn't seem like Mirabelle is going to be the victim of Jordan's impending violence. She realizes it too, as she gestures at me to run away.

It is then that I still in my tracks. I am Dauntless. Well, almost Dauntless, anyway. I shall not run away. I shall stand and face bravely the consequences of my actions.

I let Jordan come at me. He punches me on the nose. I let out all the anger I felt towards him, since I found him kissing the one girl that I once loved, in a single blow that I pelt mercilessly on his head. He collapses onto the ground instantly.

It is true what they say of the Erudite then. They may be strong, mentally and intellectually. But, they spend so much time sticking their nose into books that they have hardly any time to cultivate themselves physically, which shows that they can't even defend themselves in times of need. Ignorant Erudite.

I see Mirabelle crouching on the ground next to Jordan, caressing his face. My disgust towards Mirabelle is boundless.

One day, she kisses Jordan and says that I'm barbaric, but the next, she kisses me and after that, caresses him?

I walk out of the park a second time in a week, dejected.

I swear to never even talk to Mirabelle again.