4. Officially A Transfer

"Hey mate!" Someone yells, and I turn around to see a grinning Christina, waving her arms wildly in the air. Her happiness is so infectious; I can't help but smile too. She strides towards me and wraps me in a hug, and I return it back.

"Dude, today is the day of the Aptitude Test, I'm so scared. Oh, why can't I pull a sick excuse on this one? Why Al why? What if I'm not allowed to join whatever faction I want to because my Aptitude Test messes it up? How can I escape this torture?" she mumbles into my shoulder.

I smile at her rant adoringly and pull back to look at her face. I say, "You will do well, Christina. I have faith in you. Who knows, we may even choose the same faction. Be positive, stay calm."

"Okay mother!" and sticks out her tongue like a kid. I laugh.

She sighs and says, "You're still not going to tell me what faction you're going to choose, huh?"

I shrug. Two days before, she had asked me what faction I was going to choose, and I said I wouldn't reply to that.

Now, I say, "I really don't know, you know. What are you aiming for?"

She points a finger at me accusingly and says, "You're lying, Albert Chapman! And you're Candor too, what a shame! For the record, I'm not telling you until you tell me which faction you'll choose."

With that, she walks away haughtily.

I look at her retreating back, covered in traditional Candor colors, her pants in black and white vertical stripes, making them look like pajamas.

I make my way to my first class of the day, looking at the classes one last time, knowing well that I wasn't coming back here after today. If I survived Dauntless initiation, I'd very likely be patrolling fences and doing other stuff of that kind. If I didn't, well, I was ready to take the plunge.

************************************************************************

Today, all our classes had been cut in half, as the Aptitude test was to be held soon after lunch. I was dead scared about it, but I tried not to show it. I went into Faction History and sat in my usual place. When Mir came in, I watched her as she searched for another place to sit, probably to avoid me and the awkwardness altogether, but seeing as the class was already full, she plopped down next to me, and opened her book, to avoid any conversation.

It felt like she had not only stabbed me, but had also twisted it deep into my gut so that I could fully feel the colossal pain, and then yanked it out forcefully. My heart felt so empty and wrecked.

I copied her action and tried to focus on the words in front of me, but they all blurred together. Then, as the class progressed, I was feeling increasingly edgy. When the bell rang, I was the first to grab my backpack and rush out of class.

Lunch, of course, turns out to be a subdued affair. It's just five of us Candor kids sitting at the table that could hold eight, and picking on our lunch quietly. Half an hour later, it's time to take up the Aptitude Test.

In our school, there are basically ten different rooms for the Aptitude Test. There are two rooms allotted to each of the five factions, and only one sixteen year old is allowed inside at a time. Most of the examiners are Abnegation volunteers. However, for the Abnegation students, volunteers from other faction show up, mainly from Dauntless.

First, it is Theodore's turn to go. After a good ten minutes, he shows up, looking satisfied, but a little exhausted. Then, Christina and I are called up. We smile nervously at each other, our throats closing up with nervousness so we can't say anything.