CHAPTER 17

Lust of Battle

They dragged four Taliban to the middle of the village for all to see. The Elder stood before them. They forced the Taliban to their knees with a swift flick of his wrist. Then, bloodied and beaten, the Elder spat on them. A T-man bled from an open chest wound. Another cried as the Elder's peshkabz pressed against his throat.

"Oh shit, this is gonna get ugly," said Theo. "Stand in front of the EPWs. Let me see if I can talk them down."

"What are you going to do?" I asked. He nodded.

"I have no freaking idea. I'm making this shit up as I go, Kelly. These guys are high-asset prisoners. I can't let this guy just kill 'em—just go." Theo pushed me towards the four T-Man as he approached the Elder. The crowd was obedient and allowed us through with no resistance. We couldn't understand them. There was so much confusion, villagers speaking over each other.

"These are our prisoners," he said. He pointed at the T-Man on their knees. The Elder remained silent as Theo tried to communicate.

He repeatedly gestured to the Elder, waving both hands at the prisoners. "They are our prisoners. You can't touch them—they've surrendered."

"Taliban—Taliban—screw Taliban." A younger boy chanted and grabbed my arm. It was the boy from the corral. One who we'd left to secure the wounded. He grabbed my rifle, prompting me to shoot.

"No!" I said. I pulled it back. "Knock it off." With my thumb, I ensured my selector switch was set to semi. This was going south. There was nothing we could do.

"Yeah, so ah... Staff Sergeant," I said. "We're already OFP, no doubt beyond reasoning or explanation. So we interfere with the girl, right... right?" I know Theo heard me, but he didn't respond.

"Are we gonna do something or not, Staff Sergeant?" I said. Theo shushed me by putting his finger to his lips and waved me to stand beside him.

The crowd became quiet as one kneeling T-Man spoke to the Elder. I could only assume they were negotiating the terms of their deaths. He was calm, as if in casual conversation. The other three stayed on their knees, heads hanging, silent, and waiting.

We stepped back, away from the crowd. There was nothing we could do.

"This isn't gonna end well," I said. Theo spat on the ground. The Elder looked at both of us, then glared at the T-Man speaking.

They're dead.

The Elder said nothing, only nodded. Whatever they talked about, whether truce or treaty, had reached its conclusion. There was a sudden eruption of cheering from the crowd. There were whistles, chanting, and shouting. The crowd dragged them to their feet and shoved them out of the village. They hurled rocks and stones at them. They headed towards the pit where we'd found the girl, Aaina.

"All of this for one girl," said Theo. "What was I thinking?"

I didn't answer. Instead, I got caught up in Neverland—Peter, Fairy-dust, and Tink.

"Tink darted up the nearest tree, but no one followed her, for it was then that the pirates made their dreadful attack upon the redskins. Above, where all was still, the air was rent with shrieks and the clash of steel. Below, there was dead silence. Mouths opened and remained open. Wendy fell to her knees, but her arms were extended toward Peter. All arms were extended to him as if suddenly blown in his direction; they were beseeching him mutely not to desert them. As for Peter, he seized his sword, the same he thought he had slain Barbecue with, and the lust of battle was in his eye."

Theo turned his back, grabbed my arm, and pulled me away.

Walking towards the Elder's hut, we heard the rapidity of the AK. It was a sharp, prolonged burst that ended with cheering, singing, and celebratory gunfire.

"Don't look back, Kelly," said Theo. "This one's none of our business."

Viking and Red walked over to meet us. Viking looked over Theo's shoulder and shook his head like he didn't care what was happening.

"Battalion's on the phone for you," said Viking.

Theo took the handset and turned his back slightly. " Affirm," he said. "Redirect for immediate casevac—two pediatric priorities, one female and one male." He returned the handset to Viking and wiped his mouth with his hand.

"Lost Boy's oscar mike in forty," said Theo. His voice was soft, sullen. "They're casevacing the peeds by helo." He sighed. "Tell Doc to maintain care, and we'll do what we can when they arrive."

"What about the rest?" I asked.

"Screw 'em," said Red. "It's their goddamn war—the local standard of care, remember?"

Red left abruptly.

"He didn't mean that," I said. Theo nodded.

It was hitting all of us. The fatigue—no sleep, no food, barely hydrated, and combat. We were exhausted.

I had to remind myself that the villagers fought for their families and homes, as they should. As for their care, that wasn't my decision, and I would not brood on it. We helped them defend their village. That was enough.