CHAPTER 10

Rules Of Engagement

The importance of understanding the Law of War in the current operational environment cannot be overstressed. All we need to do is look at one of the several cases where questionable actions have been publicly showcased to understand its importance. It is imperative that we as leaders not only know what the Law of War is, but also have the ability to conceptualize these principles and train our Marines to the same standards.

*******************************************************************

Shepherd

Stars blanketed the sky as the moon rose to its zenith. The mountains sprung to life under its brilliance. Not a cloud in sight.

The overhead expanse did not differ from home in the Heights. Neither was it different in the Appalachians on vacation with the Kelly clan. The familiarity made me smile.

Before I returned to the hut, I took one long look. It may be my last moments of peace, if not on this earth, but indeed for the night.

Our squad gathered inside while the Elder gathered the village's men for combat. I prepped my night optics, checked the batteries, and clicked them into the helmet mount. Viking had Doc's Kevlar and his own, doing the same. Theo stood with his back against a wall, simply looking on.

As Chief put the infra-red optic on his Squad Advanced Marksman Rifle, Theo pushed himself from the wall and pulled back the slide on his rifle. Then, as he peered into the chamber and saw the round, he released the bolt.

"Let's get oscar-mike. Move."

Outside, the Elder returned with thirteen riflemen in tow. Theo quickly divided them into four groups. Theo, with the help of the Elder, created the groups, physically moving whom he thought belonged to whom. He looked at the Elder for direction, careful to keep fathers and sons together. Finally, he designated them Kilos one through four.

"We're going to create a kill zone," he said as he knelt down. The moonlight shadowed the crude map he was scratched in the dirt. Theo outlined the perimeter and the buildings and placed each team Kilo.

"Viking, sketch this out for after-action reports," he said. And there, in the dust, Theo laid out the battle plan.

"Chief, I want you to take up an over-watch position topside."

He motioned to the roof of the Elder's hut. "From the elevated vantage, you'll be able to see all approaches. Monitor the south and west, though. It'll be your clearest sight."

"Viking, you're Kilo Three. Take your team and secure the hut across from the barn. Run perimeter security from our three, and stay frosty. Because of that hut, you won't have good visibility in front of you."

Theo pointed to the house adjacent to the Elders. "Let's call it, uh, I don't knowthe blind house."

Viking would be our extreme right flank. The blind house in front of him would obstruct Viking's immediate view. To the right was a stone wall. It was excellent for the cover of five or six riflemen. Directly beside him was a huge outdoor oven, perfect for a lone designated marksman to lie in wait.

"Way I see it," Theo said, "they'll be coming at us either from the hardball directly in front of us or from the treeline to our nine. So we'll be vulnerable to our three-near you, Viking—but I think that's too wide open to assault."

"Where will you be, Staff Sergeant?" I said. I pointed at the dirt map.

"I'll be Kilo One, just behind you and Viking," he said. "I'll reinforce wherever needed with the Elder and the Lollipop Guild."