Chapter Five | magic bullet

C H A P T E R   F I V E

magic bullet

Nearly a week passes without incident.

The end of the school day was drawing near and Amber found herself at her normal desk in World History sitting in front of Scott. The whole class was waiting as Mr. Browning dawdled around at his desk before passing out the graded tests they'd taken on Friday afternoon.

Scott was pinned between his friends, sitting in front of Stiles and behind Amber. He was being hounded from both directions with the questions that were eating away at them.

After the ludicrously brief recap Scott had given the two of them at lunch, summarizing the conversation he'd had with Derek several days before, they were desperate to know more. For reasons which remained unknown, Scott had kept the information to himself for nearly six days before he told Stiles and Amber what he knew about the mysterious and powerful Alpha that was desperate to get Scott to be a part of its pack.

"If Derek isn't the Alpha, if he's not the one who bit you, then who did?" Stiles leaned forward to whisper at the back of Scott's head.

Amber turned around in her seat to be a part of the conversation and rested her arms at the edge of Scott's desk as she peered back at her friends.

"I don't know." Scott answered briskly, avoiding eye contact with Amber even though she was hovering only a few inches away from him.

"So, did the Alpha kill the bus driver?" Amber asked quietly, tapping her pencil rhythmically on Scott's desktop.

"I don't know." Scott mumbled again.

Amber watched Stiles fall back into his seat with an adorable pout. The girl's eyes were drawn to his pursed lips as he drew his eyebrows together in a frown. He paused for a moment in thought before leaning forward again, "Does Allison's dad know about the Alph-"

"I don't know!" Scott shouted at his friends, drawing attention from the rest of their classmates.

The three teens all shied away from the sudden attention and shrunk back slightly in their seats. Mr. Browning raised an eyebrow when he made eye contact with Amber while dropping Stiles' test down onto his desk, continuing forward to pass out Scott and Amber's before moving on.

Amber looked down to her desk and smiled at the little red A at the top of the paper. She turned back around to face her friends and frowned when her eyes caught on the D- that marked the top of Scott's own test. She craned her neck to read the note their teacher had written to accompany the grade.

Not like you! See me after class.

Stiles seemed to do the same and he leaned forward in his seat with a grimace, "Dude, you need to study more."