Chapter Eleven | co-captain

C H A P T E R   E L E V E N

C H A P T E R E L E V E N

co-captain

After school on Friday, Scott insisted they stalk Jackson's whereabouts around town all afternoon. Amber didn't see the point, but Stiles had climbed into his Jeep with a nod of approval and that had been that.

Around four-thirty, after an hour and a half of tailing Jackson as he ran menial errands around town, Amber had pouted until Stiles was convinced to take a short break to swing by the diner downtown.

Scott had frowned at them in annoyance from across the car, but he'd still been the one to amble into the diner without complaint to buy her a milkshake, making his way back out to the vehicle quickly to hand the contraband over to his friend.

When they pulled back out onto the road, Scott immediately thrust his head out the window. Amber snorted at the sight and sipped from her drink, watching Scott take a deep breath through his nose while his hair fluttered in the breeze from the moving car.

"You're really leaning into this whole dog thing, aren't you?" She called out to him amusedly over the wind.

Scott ignored her joke, "He's not in town anymore," He announced, "He headed out toward the old factories."

"Why would he-" Amber started.

She was cut off when Stiles took a sharp turn to head in the direction Scott's nose had told them to go. Her grip on her styrofoam cup slackened in surprise and she rammed into Scott uncomfortably as she was thrown off balance. His hand saved the beverage from spilling all over his lap, but only managed to do so by swiping at it and shoving it out the open window.

"No!" Amber cried, turning around in her seat to look out the back window. She caught sight of her milkshake splattered sadly on the pavement as they drove away, "Stiles-" She whined quietly, nudging his arm in annoyance.

"I'm sorry!" Stiles apologized earnestly, reaching out to take hold of her hand for a moment in consolation. He sped up as they raced down a lane between buildings, "But we're on a stakeout here, Amber."

As they pulled up at the edge of an abandoned building, they spotted Jackson's Porsche parked a few hundred yards away, Chris Argent's large SUV idling right beside it. Stiles swerved into the empty parking lot where the confrontation was taking place and slammed on the breaks as they reached the vehicles.

Amber's body continued forward with momentum as the Jeep jerked and Stiles reached out to brace her back against the seat as the tires squealed to a stop.

He leaned forward to peer around her and Scott, "What's up?" He asked Jackson and Mr. Argent casually, arm still thrown across Amber's sternum, his hand wrapped lightly around her bicep.

"Everything okay?" She asked through the open window with an eager smile.

"Hey, Scott." Mr. Argent greeted with a suspicious grin, "Your friend here was having car trouble. We're just taking a look."