Building Ryujin

Ryujin had as happy a childhood as they could manage, though it had some of the usual challenges that face any family

Ryujin had as happy a childhood as they could manage, though it had some of the usual challenges that face any family. They didn't have much money. Her father was an accountant at a plant that manufactured car parts. He was a quiet, unassuming man. He had a deep belief that all work was honorable, and he took great pride in what he did, even though it was often days and days of boring work with spreadsheets and number crunching.

Because he felt such pride, every day he wore a suit and tie to work even though the younger people dressed casually. He was a small, lean man and he never seemed to notice that his secondhand suit was a little too big. He tried hard to stay cool on warm days so he didn't sweat and have to spend precious money getting his suit dry cleaned over and over. On hot days, he changed into street clothes in a bathroom stall, carefully hung the suit up in a travel bag, and walked to the train. He always looked like someone who was heading to, or from, the airport.

Ryujin's mom was very different from her father. She was always laughing, talked a little too loud, and loved bright colored clothes. In the morning she would wake Ryujin up by singing loud songs, including Elvis Presley, as well as whatever the current kpop hits were. It was from her that Ryujin learned a love of singing and dance. Her parents signed her up for singing and dancing lessons when she was five, and even then it was hard to get her to stop dancing and go to bed most nights.

The most important thing Ryujin learned from her parents was what being in love and being in a relationship meant. As different as they were, her parents were still so obviously in love. They held hands wherever they went, and gave each other quick kisses. Her mother seemed to value her father's steadiness and seriousness, and he loved her because she was so outgoing, fun, and unpredictable. Opposites really do attract.

One day, when Ryujin was ten, the school psychologist called and told Ryujin's mom that they urgently needed to speak to both parents. They said it was a very serious matter.

Her parents arrived an hour later, very worried. In the psychologist's office, there was a small conference table. Ryujin was sitting there, and she looked scared. Her mom scooped her up and let her sit on her lap. The psychologist, assistant principal, and one of her teachers were also seated.

"Mr and Mrs Shin, I hope you are well, and thank you for coming in to help resolve this matter," the psychologist said.

"What is going on?" Mr Shin asked.

The assistant principal spoke up. "As you know, everyone here loves Ryujin. She's a model student, and is kind to her friends and her teachers. But she does sometimes have a little rebellious streak. Lately we've noticed that she's been passing notes in class."

"We'll speak to her about that. But isn't this a little issue? Why do we need such a big meeting?" said Mrs Shin.

"It's not so much that she's passing notes. It's what the notes are saying that has us all disturbed. So let me backup a bit. As you might know, Ryujin is good friends with a girl named Duri."

"Yes, she comes to our house to play," Mrs Shin said.

The psychologist continued. "They're inseparable. They sit together in the back of the classroom, in math. Initially, we thought their friendship was good, developmentally, for each of them. But yesterday, the teacher saw Ryujin pass a note to Duri. She took it and brought it to me. Here it is."

Mr and Mrs Shin looked at the note:

I love you Duri.

There was a heart, colored in red pencil, below the words.

Mr Shin swallowed hard. This wasn't what he expected.

The assistant principal cleared his throat. "We know that there are a lot of new attitudes that are appearing in society, not just here, but around the world. Especially in America. But we think some of them don't have a place in a school. And some of them don't have a place in Korea."

"What does that mean?" Mr Shin asked, growing agitated.

"What it means is that Ryujin either has to act normal or -"

"Normal...?"

Mr Shin jumped up so fast that his chair fell over.

"Normal? NORMAL!?! How dare you! HOW DARE YOU!" he shouted. He scooped up Ryujin and hugged her tightly. "So who are you!?! Who are you to sit there and say our Ryujin isn't 'normal'?!? Do you think your fancy degree lets you judge her!?!"

"Mr Shin," the teacher added, "We're not trying to judge Ryujin. We like her - that's not an issue. But her... attitudes... could cause a disruption for the other students."

Mrs Shin said "So let me get this straight: when boys say horrible things to the girls, or pinch them, that's normal? Is that right? But Ryujin passes a note that is simply sweet and sincere, and she needs to be drummed out of school?" She banged her fist on the table. "Ryujin is normal! WE ALL NEED TO LEARN TO LOVE SO BOLDLY!"

Her eyes watered. "She loves people in a way none of you can even imagine. Someday you'll - I mean we'll all - see what she is capable of and what she can do! And millions of people won't care about who she loves."

"We're pulling her out of this terrible, mean school," Mr Shin said. "You should ALL be ashamed of yourselves!"

They walked out of the school, into the sunshine, and into a new world for their family. Mr and Mrs Shin took turns holding Ryujin's hand tightly, as if she was too precious, too beautiful, for the rest of the world.

Her father picked her up and hugged her. "Ryujin, you love anyone you want, and we won't let anyone tell you no."

Ryujin looked at her father. He was covered in perspiration. He had gotten his suit sweaty because he loved Ryujin and fought for her. He'd have to pay for the dry cleaner to take care of it. Seeing that kind of love for her was a complete revelation. What she realized was that you always stayed with, always defended the people you love. No matter what the world was saying. All love was good.

Looking back, Ryujin realized that the meeting had done something to her: it had lit a white-hot, unstoppable force within her. Now she was free from everyday conventions. She knew exactly where she wanted to be one day...

She would keep singing and dancing. Someday she would be an idol.