Belief In Allah's existence

First of all, we have to believe in the existence of Allah. There is no Imaan (Islamic faith) without believing the existence of Allah. Doubting the existence of Allah nullifies ones 'Faith'. Thus, one who does not believe in Allah's existence is not a believer (مؤمن). Truly, It is human nature to be able to feel the existence of Allah. That is, man has been created in such a manner that he can sense the existence of Allah. As Allah says in the Quran:

[30:30]

فَأَقِمْ وَجْهَكَ لِلدِّينِ حَنِيفًا فِطْرَتَ ٱللَّهِ ٱلَّتِى فَطَرَ ٱلنَّاسَ عَلَيْهَا لَا تَبْدِيلَ لِخَلْقِ ٱللَّهِ ذَٰلِكَ ٱلدِّينُ ٱلْقَيِّمُ وَلَٰكِنَّ أَكْثَرَ ٱلنَّاسِ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ

"So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. [Adhere to] the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created [all] people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah . That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know."

From Imam Shawkanee's Tafsir "مختصر فتح القدير" and Imam Qurtubi's Tafsir "الجامع لأحكام القرآن", we find the opinion that by "فطرة", it is meant that every human was created with the ability to recognise the creator of existence.

Another opinion found in Sheikh Salahuddin Yousuf's Tafsir "احسن البيان" and many more explains the meaning of "فطرة" by stating, it is the ability of human beings to recognise Allah and believe in his oneness (Tawheed) and turning in obedience.

بِالسَّنَدِ المُتَّصِلِ إِلى مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ يَعْقُوبَ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ يَحْيَى، عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ مَحْبُوبٍ، عَنْ عَلِيِّ بْنِ رِئَابٍ، عَنْ زُرَارَةَ قَالَ: سَأَلْتُ أَبَا عَبْدِاللهِ عَلَيْهِ السَّلامُ عَنْ قَوْلِ اللهِ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ: ﴿فِطْرَةَ اللهِ الَّتِي فَطَرَ النَّاسَ عَلَيْهَا.﴾ قَالَ: فَطَرَهُمْ جَمِيعاً عَلَى التَّوْحِيدِ.

Muhammad Ibn Ya'qub (Al Kulayni), from Muhammad Ibn Yahya, from Ahmad Ibn Muhammad, from Ibn Mahbub, from' Ali Ibn Ri'ab, from Zurarah, who said, I asked Abu 'Abd Allah (Imam Al Sadiq) regarding the words of Allah, the Mighty, the Venerable: Allah's creation (Fitrah) upon which He originated mankind. (30:30). The Imam answered: "He originated mankind upon Tawheed."

Overall it refers to a person being a muslim when he is given birth.

As mentioned in a Sahih Hadith:

قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏"‏ مَا مِنْ مَوْلُودٍ إِلاَّ يُولَدُ عَلَى الْفِطْرَةِ، فَأَبَوَاهُ يُهَوِّدَانِهِ أَوْ يُنَصِّرَانِهِ أَوْ يُمَجِّسَانِهِ،

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "No child is born except on Al-Fitra and then his parents make him Jewish, Christian or Magian."

Both the opinion is supported by the scholars of Islam. We say that the meanings are close, they do not contradict rather they compliment each other and eventually points to belief in Allah.

A study conducted by Oxford University also proves the same.

(The picture used in the article has been censored because it contains nudity)

It is very easy for humans to actually experience the existence of Allah. Basically, a person can sense the existence of Allah in two ways -

1. Perceive it from the heart.
2. Through the intellect.

Examples of perceiving from the heart are - the inherent characteristics of people (Fitrah), the goodness of faith (i.e. the attainment of stability and spiritual peace), experience in life etc. Again, the examples of verification by reason is - searching for answers to those questions related to life which cannot be answered by science or philosophy, thinking about the root of the mystery of nature etc. The best way one can feel Allah's existence is to combine both ways. By understanding ones innate ability to recognise Allah and through intellectual reasoning. When a person combines both ways and seeks Allah, he achieves certainty (یقین).

So, many are atheists, what is the reason for their atheism? Many opinions may be correct answering such question. From my personal experience, some reasons of it have become clear to me:

1. They did not make good use of time, indulging in wastage of time by unnecessary activities. My point is that, they have never thought deeply about their lives which resulted in atheism.

2. Basically, they never thought about the mysteries of the universe, that is, from this huge world to tiny insects. How these things started and how they are being controlled etc. They never gave these matters any importance. They took this precious life as a joke.

3. In some cases, too much love for the world pushes people towards atheism because the rational or spiritual aspect never becomes clear to the person who considers the world as his everything. Intoxicated with money, fame etc. He enters such a deep sea of darkness that he cannot find his way out.

4. Atheism takes place in the weak minded man because he considers his life cursed at the slightest suffering and thinks that he is in this condition because there is no Omnipotent being. How hideous their thoughts are, Allah knows best what fantasy they are drowning in. If there is no contradiction in life, where is the existence of life, that is, if there is no sorrow, then how can we get the feeling of happiness?

5. The curse of overestimating oneself often breeds atheism in people. These are the people who are indeed limited with very little knkwledge and wisdom and yet they are not open to truth. When their own reasoning does not match the Absolute Truth, some of these ignorant people oppose the Absolute Truth and they choose the path of atheism. They consider themselves self-sufficient. But their thinking is foolishness.

6. Lack of sense of responsibility and laziness is one of the causes of atheism. Whenever a person believes in the existence of a Supreme being (who is Creator, Sustainer, God etc. with all His attributes) then it is incumbent upon him to give due (worship, servitude etc.) to that Supreme being. But the lazy man runs away from this responsibility and eventually gets used to atheism.

And Allah knows best.