Chapter Two: Not Alone

Hopper looked up at me from the floor, shock on his face. I stood there frozen with my arm outstretched towards him, not knowing what to do next. I was confused and angry.
"What the hell was that?" Hopper whispered. I looked at my hand with my lips parted, brow lowered. How did I do that? Was this like the time my scream helped El? "Beth..." said Hopper as he began to rise to his feet, slowly. I looked at him with confusion and then quickly rushed off to our bathroom, the only place with a door I could separate myself from him. "Beth!" I locked it behind me then held my back against the door, trying to breathe slower. "Beth, open up! It's okay, kid!" said Hopper, just outside. "I...I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean it. Just...open the door, we need to figure out what just happened."
"Leave me alone!" I shouted back at him.
"Beth...I just...I just want to help." he said, voice becoming softer. I placed my hands either side of my head and then slid down the door so that I was sat on the floor. I was too overwhelmed and confused and angry to talk about anything in that moment. I just wanted to be left alone. "Kid, listen...uh, I'm gonna go for that run. When I get back...we can talk about things. Okay?" Hopper spoke softly. I didn't reply. "Okay." he finished. I heard his footsteps walk always from the door. I remained on the bathroom floor as I listened to him collect his things before heading up the ladder, out the hatch and into the wreckage of the world above.
Once I had heard him leave, I came out of the bathroom. I was still in shock over how I managed to force-push Hopper. This had to have something to do with when I helped with the Mind Flayer two years ago. I looked at the books scattered on the floor from where Hopper had knocked them down and decided to see if I could do it again. I held my hand out towards them and began to concentrate. I tried to do what El has shown me, back in nineteen eighty five.

"I just think and it happens." El explained to me. We both sat in my old house, March nineteen eighty five. Hopper and El had moved in over Christmas after Hopper proposed to my mom. El and I had our own bedrooms since we cleared out the office space for her. We sat on her bedroom floor, thinking she could teach me how to access an ability as she believed I had one after what happened a few months back in November with helping her close the gate. She held her arm out and began to lift her alarm clock with her mind. Blood began to trickle down her nose.
"I've tried to do this so many times and I really think it was just a one time thing." I said as I watched her. She lowered the clock back down to the ground and then turned and looked at me, wiping her nose.
"Maybe it's because you didn't train." she said.
"Train?"
"Papa. He trained me and the others. That's why we can do it."
"Maybe. Or maybe I just don't have abilities like you." I said.
"You must. How did you make the monsters fall?"
"I don't know. Maybe my scream just shocked them." I snickered.
"Maybe your power is screaming." thought El.
"What?"
"When I met...I mean, apparently some people have different types of powers. Maybe yours is screaming."
"So...do I try and scream?" I questioned.
"Yes. Focus your energy on that clock. Find the power and try it." said El. I looked at her with a confused and unsure expression. She smiled and nodded at me, indicating for me to try.
"Okay." I said. I held my arm out towards the clock and tried for focus my energy on it. I took a deep inhale before I let out a scream, targeting the clock. El covered her ears and waited. The clock didn't budge. I exhaled and felt myself relax into a slouch. "Still nothing." I moped.
"Worth a try." shrugged El. Suddenly, her bedroom door burst open and there stood a conceded Hopper.
"What was that? What happened?" he asked. Me and El looked up at him with surprised expressions, just blinking at him.  "I heard screaming what was it!?" he frantically asked.
"Oh...nothing, just...messing about." I said. El started to giggle. Hopper sighed and relaxed his posture.
"Don't...don't do that to me." he said as he began to slowly leave the room. "And why did I have to open this door? I said three inches!" he called as he left the door ajar.
"There's no boys!" cried El.
"But there was screaming!" Hopper called back to us from the hallway. El and I looked at each other and then burst out laughing. I looked at her as she laughed and saw pure happiness. But then, my vision began to play on me. I saw flashes of El screaming in fear at the same time as her laughing. Her screaming with tears and blood on her face with her shaved head and then back to her laughing with her medium length, brown hair.