The Empty Hearse Part One

Zyair sits watching as Mattheo finish his Physiotherapy "I'll see you again in a few weeks, keep up the good work

Zyair sits watching as Mattheo finish his Physiotherapy "I'll see you again in a few weeks, keep up the good work." Frankie, the Physio, tells Mattheo. "Thanks Frankie, say hi to the wife and kids." Mattheo tells her as he uses his crutches to get over to Zyair. Zyair smiles and stands up, kissing him "You ready to head off? John and Mary are going to meet us at the grave." he tells him. "Yeah, as long as you don't kill us in the car." Mattheo jokes. "Hey, I'm a perfect driver thank you very much." Zyair pouts, walking out the building with Mattheo following. "Mhm, which is why you nearly crashed last week." Mattheo jokes. Zyair playfully glares at him "That post got in the way." he retorts, opening the car door for Mattheo. "Course it did." Mattheo smiles, climbing in the car. Zyair smiles and walks round to the drivers side, climbing in and beginning to drive to meet John and Mary.

Mattheo and Zyair walk over to Sherlock's grave where John and Mary are already stood, Mary puts down the flowers that she and Zyair had picked out last night "Do you want a minute?" she asks. "I'm okay." John tells her. Zyair brushes the leaves off the top of the headstone before removing all the weeds from round the base "We'll give you a minute." Mary tells Mattheo, leading John away. Mattheo nods and watches Zyair reorganise the flowers before standing up "You want some space?" he asks. Zyair shakes his head "Stay." he tells him. "I'll always stay with you Mi Amor." Mattheo tells him. After a minute, Mattheo and Zyair head over to John and Mary "I'm going to see Mrs Hudson if you want to come." John tells Zyair. "Yeah... I'll drive." Zyair nods.

John and Zyair walk across the street to 221, two young boys walking round the corner with a home made Guy Fawkes in a pushchair "Penny for the guy?" one of them asks a passerby. "Oi, mate! Penny for the guy?" the other calls to John who ignores them. "Penny for the guy, mate?" the second asks. "Penny for the guy?" the first continues as they walk past. Zyair unlocks the front door and walks in, freezing at the bottom of the staircase. John puts a gentle hand on his shoulder as Mrs Hudson walks out of 221A, making John wave an awkward hand to her in greeting. Zyair walks over and lets Mrs Hudson immediately pull him in for a hug "Oh Zyair, let me look at you." she says, pulling him into her flat with John following. Zyair sits opposite John at the kitchen table as Mrs Hudson firmly slams down a small tray containing two cups and saucers and a jug of milk, before going across the room to pick up a plate of biscuits, which she equally loudly slams down onto the table. The two of them silently watches her while she picks up a sugar bowl and thumps that onto the table, hesitating she points at the sugar bowl "Oh no, you don't take it, do you?" she asks John. "No." John responds. "You forget a little thing like that." she tells him. "Yes." he says. "You forget lots of little things, it seems." Mrs Hudson tells him. "Uh-huh." John says.

Mrs Hudson purposely runs her finger between her nose and her upper lip while looking at John "Not sure about that." she tells him, Zyair biting his lip to not comment. John reaches up to touch his moustache "Ages you." Mrs Hudson tells him. "Just trying it out." John responds. "Well, it ages you." she remarks. John looks at her awkwardly "Look..." he starts. "I'm not your mother. I've no right to expect it..." Mrs Hudson cuts him off. "No..." John says. "...but just one phone call, John. Just one phone call would have done." Mrs Hudson continues upset. "I know." John mumbles, looking down. "After all we went through." she tells him. "Yes. I am sorry." John apologises, looking Mrs Hudson in the eye as she sits at the table. "Look, I understand how difficult it was for you after... after..." Mrs Hudson trails off, shaking her head sadly. Zyair feels tears pool in his eyes "I just let it slide, Mrs Hudson. I let it all slide. And it just got harder and harder to pick up the phone somehow. D'you know what I mean?" John explains with a sigh. After a second, Mrs Hudson sighs too and reaches out to put her hand on his arm, John immediately putting his hand on hers.