Thriving Dynasties (Oskar colony)

This story has been first published on the Rimworld facebook group

What started out as a group of 4 friends being stranded on the rim ended in them founding their own family and leaving for a better place with them and their friends. They came with nothing only to leave with invaluable treasures.

In the end, there were 5 prominent families. And of course Oskar had the most successful one, becoming the first grandfather of the colony and being a lineage of excellent builders. With the 4 initial friends, they became the head of their respective family as they had become powerful specialized psycasters, with a chronomancer, a necromancer, a technomancer, and nature guardian.

Schyns and Hendricks married women of violent ideologies. Agathe came from masochist vikings, while Laura was a space pirate, and both brought some followers with them. And so, social fights happened once in a while. Miksu, the doctor was annoyed by their antics, but it trained her to become a valuable member of the community.

Having been grouped into their main role, the colonists proudly displayed their organisation.

Posh's exploration/raiding team of thrall warcaskets (brainwashed warriors sealed in powerful armors). Renown pirate mercenaries reduced to the state of simpleminded combat drones, they still retained their infamous name, such as The Savage, Huntsman, and so on. Posh started out as an office worker but stood out enough to get the control of the squad. She led them well and always returned with treasures and glory. For some, they were monsters, for others, they were heroes that could brave all odds.

Barn's colony defenders, with Allen being Oskar's ex. This group was the former exploration team, arming themselves with only what they found. But because their ideology was to be sedentary, they weren't very happy to leave the colony and they often complained of having to leave the security of their base for exploring ruins. Despite the ragtag equipment, they still protected their home with great efficiency.

On the top right corner stood the staff, hired through an ancient network that provided willing workers. They were basically office workers and civil servants, sitting at a desk all day, providing their services to the more civilized worlds that needed cheap labor. Any company who outsourced their work would pay a decent price for the colonists' work. As for Ayleth, she had gotten herself pregnant with some traitor whose existence had been erased, both physically and in the colony logs. So she went on voluntary maternity leave until her child was old enough to be more independent.

As for Vivian, the one at the bottom of the picture, she was the moral guide of the colony. She lend her ear to the ones who needed it, she provided lectures and held the annual festivities. Despite being a pacifist, she managed to reach the venerable age of 66 years. It was a miracle, her being on a world where death can come at any moment.

While the colony was getting comfortable in their pod, Vivian stood and watched, her eyes tired from her old age. Despite having no more living relatives left, she felt a warm sensation as she looked at the parents helping their children to lie in the cryptosleep caskets, not as a funeral but as the beginning of a new life. A hopefully better one. For this casket was to take them to a better world.

Once everyone was strapped in, she carried the dogs and the cat to the ship as best as she could with her frail back. The colony never bothered to name them, thinking that they'd die before anyone could get attached. They were a part of the colony for almost a decade, bringing joy to the children and adults alike. With them aboard, Vivian pondered if she could use the resurrector mech serum to fill the two extra cryptosleep caskets. This almost magical serum had been found by Posh's when they were exploring some ancient ruins. But Vivian was too late for the dead as they had perished for far too long.

As for the living. They'll be waiting for the sun.

And with the pets safely put in cryptosleep, Vivian slowly walked to hers, remembering of her time in the colony. Memories of tending the wounded after raids, attending marriage ceremonies, carrying newborns to their crib, and burying those unfortunate souls stranded on the Rim.

And it was with a smile on her face that she laid in her cryptosleep, remembering some good memories.