Noble Last Stand (Sarai colony)

The colony is lost. Mechanoids have launched a full assault, deploying mech clusters after mech clusters. Their goal was known: total destruction. There would be no mercy, only blood and dust. No one tried to reason with these unthinking, unfeeling machines. Their initial program was to follow the orders of a commander residing in the comfort of their space station, but said commander had been dead for centuries, which made their last order impossible to cancel: exterminate any threat to the mechanoid hive. Even though the colony did nothing against these machines, their striving colony was seen as a threat to the hive.

The first wave had been repelled, but not without casualties. The fierce defenders fought valiantly against the metallic foes, sustaining life threatening injuries despite taking cover in heavily fortified positions. Even the sturdiest metal walls couldn't resist the powerful rounds used by these killer robots. But with their grit and daring attacks, the colonists had repelled the first wave after four hours of fighting.

Soon followed the moment to cart the wounded to the hospital where the doctors were tending to the most critical patients first. They worked tirelessly as the sterile white floors were tainted by the growing puddles of blood. The moans and whimpers of the injured colonists filled the room, showcasing the brutality of warfare. Doctor Bray, who had also fought the first wave, was feeling a pang in his stomach as he didn't have the time to eat yet, but he couldn't allow himself to stop tending the wounded. Unfortunately, the colony didn't have enough time to lick its wounds that the second wave was launched, and the third one was already on its way, with the night sky being filled with the pods carrying the enemy reinforcements. Their drop pods roaring in the air, filling the colonists' hearts.

Sarai, the colony leader and imperial arch-countess, found the situation dire enough to use up all her favor with the Empire. She called upon their best soldiers, in the hope that they would help her in battle and save her precious colony. The powerful Empire responded immediately, always repaying a dept to a loyal ally. It all started as a mutually beneficial alliance, but it was strengthened by trust and loyalty. She and her people had sold their services and had helped secure the imperial settlements numerous times, always answering to the call for help and always fulfilling the requests for assistance.

Despite the Empire's reinforcements, nothing seemed to stop the mechanoids. The bloodshed only being amplified by the rising number of bodies thrown at the unstoppable enemy.

Proud cataphracts were reduced to smoking corpses filled with holes, though their honor intact. Valiant janissaries were seen limping away from the battlefield, only to get evaporated, their glory disappearing with their bodies. Fearless troopers were set aflame, their agonizing screams filling the night, vocalizing their anguish.

In a last effort to keep the colony alive, those who could take care of the orphans were to take the escape pods and seek refuge elsewhere. If the life of an adult could be traded to protect the one of a child, the colonists were willing to sacrifice themselves. Bosbo was panting as she ran, carrying her baby to safety, trying to ignore the human screams and robotic screeches. She was running through the alleys between the houses of the once peaceful living district, her exhausted breath resonating in her ears. The colony had welcomed her when had nowhere else to go, they helped her raise her child and never asked for the father's whereabouts. Sarai had accepted Bosbo with open arms and even assisted her when she was giving birth to her firstborn: Lady. But her friend had begged Bosbo to flee with Lady and to live another day. And so, she was forced to flee her new home with tears swelling in her eyes.

The children were confused at the sight of their parents lying lifelessly on the ground while the adults were all screaming and yelling. The children couldn't comprehend why the grownups were shooting at things outside the colony, nor could they comprehend why the adults didn't get up after falling on the ground every time they get hit by glowing projectiles. Beatrice and Larry exchanged confused looks while they were following Mister Dumbo, their teacher, who was hurrying them towards the escape pods.