Chapter 7: Don't Judge a Book by Its Cover

Matthew's POV

Falling from a building. Not how I pictured the life-or
-death situation to get my Gi Band up and running.

I landed on the concrete face first a few seconds ago, so almost everything hurts, but nothing is broken (I think).

I bet I kind of look like I got shot, and somehow, I'm not dead.

I lifted my head off the hard ground to scan the area. Liaanna was still falling, so I guess I was kicked first.

Daniel must've really wanted to yeet me off the roof, so I guess he didn't count down to three (3), like Savvanna did.

As I rolled over to sit cross-legged, Lia landed in some cool landing position.

She has definitely read too many superhero comic books, and somehow, she didn't scream, unlike me.

"Poser," I scoffed as I stood up from my current position.

"We need to move it so unfortunately, I can't slap you on many levels for that nickname you just gave me," Lia concurred, walking in my direction.

"Good, and the bomb is in there," I explained as I pointed to the outside hatch that led to the school's basement.

She nodded in acknowledgment as I jogged over to the door.

"Everyone, I have a plan, so listen carefully," Lia explained, talking to the communicator.

Oh great, Lia has a plan. It's probably trash, but probably better than my idea.

"We hear you. What's the plan, Lia? I don't have one." Cat acknowledged through the communicator.

"We need to split. Daniel and Savvanna, I need you two (2) to escort the school to the evacuation area I pinpointed on your GPS system," Lia said as she stopped jogging.

"On it," Savvanna acknowledged through her communicator.

"Makenna and Vannessa, you guys head to the courtyard to stop the police from getting into Evergreen Way. They're on their way, now," Lia ordered through her communicator, glancing at her Gi Band for the police's location.

"We copy, heading to the courtyard now," Vannessa replied through her communicator.

"Matthew and I will deactivate the bomb, Cat, help any pair that needs it. Good luck, you muffin heads, you're gonna need it," Lia concluded as she resumed jogging to the door.

That was surprisingly a good plan. We might not all die today! I'm begging that this plan works because if it doesn't, I don't know what will.

"Muffin heads, that's your nickname for us?" I joked as I also jogged to the door.

"Actually, that's my nickname for everything and everyone, alive or not, and what's the time on the bomb?" Lia informed, pointing to my Gi Band.

I push a few buttons on the device and a screen projected from the device, displaying a timer, counting down.

"It's exploding in about seven (7) minutes," I muttered as I glanced at it.

I slowed down my pace so I could open the hatch without slamming into the concrete wall. I'm already hurt, I don't need to be hurt more.

I creaked open the hatch for Lia, gesturing that she goes in first. She gave me a death stare, but she also looked so done with life right now, but aren't we all, though?

"Shut up and walk down the stairs already, not the best time, Matthew," Lia asked as she crossed her arms.

"Fine," I answered as I began trotting down the stairs, into the surprisingly well lit basement.