Chapter 29: Shido is a girl?

Fast forward to 6:50 PM.

The sun was setting, and the humid heat, which had been so oppressive during the day, was finally easing a little. The sounds of the cicadas that had echoed through the afternoon were gradually replaced by those of the katydids.

"Aah... Why this again...?" A boy held a hand against the wall as he staggered down the inn's hall.

Once again, unsealed Spirits had shown up out of nowhere and dragged Shido into a whole situation. All while no one had evacuated to shelters.

Kaguya and Yuzuru had settled down a great deal after Reine spoke to them at the museum. That wasn't quite enough to put his anxiety to rest, however.

"I have to...do something." He trudged forward, a grimace on his face. He was on his way to Reine's room. When they left the museum, she told him to come to see her later to discuss their next steps. But he stopped as he approached the end of the hallway.

A head was poking out around each corner, and two sets of eyes were staring at him intently. He quickly realized whom they belonged to, swallowed his nervousness, and opened his mouth. 

"Wh-what are you doing, Kaguya, Yuzuru?" The two Spirits stepped out in front of him.

"Keh. I shall tell you. You'd do well to come."

"Guaranteed. Come this way." 

At the same moment, they each pulled on one of Shido's arms. "Wh-what's going on?" Looking back and forth between them, baffled, Shido was dragged along until they reached their apparent destination.

A blue curtain and a red curtain were hanging over two neighboring entrances. One said MEN and the other WOMEN in big letters. They were at the outdoor bathing area the inn was famous for. 

"...The bath?" Shido frowned.

"Keh-keh." Kaguya nodded in her exaggerated way. "The stain of the everlasting darkness has accumulated on your body. Allow me to purify it." 

"Huh?"

"Translation. She's saying to please get in the bath and get cleaned up."

"Ohhh, is that it...? But it's not time to take a bath yet. I don't have a towel or a change of clothes, either. And there's somewhere I need to be right now."

He started to turn around and was yanked back by firm hands on each arm.

"Owww! Wh-what are you doing?"

"You believed you have a choice? Enough complaints about trivialities. Clear away your impurity."

"Petition. Please. We have made all the requisite preparations for bathing." Yuzuru dropped her gaze to indicate a stack of folded towels and yukata robes.

"Wh-why would you...? What exactly are you planning?"

"Keh... My abstruse and sublime thoughts could never be understood by an average person."

"An idea. A large bathing area with no one else in it is a very good thing."

"..." After looking back and forth between them with doubtful eyes, Shido let out a long sigh. It wasn't as though Reine had said any specific time, and he was a bit worried about what they would do if he refused. "Fine. Then I'll get in the bath first."

"Keh-keh... As long as you understand."

"Praise. I express respect for your decision."

He still had no idea what they wanted, but at the same time, he did want to get in the bath and wash away his sweat and exhaustion. He grabbed a towel and a robe and went into the men's bath.