# November 1998

I have always been a fighter in general. I was always messing with people who were bigger and stronger than me. Because of my smile, I was underestimated but I always won in the end.

Our father taught us how to fight. I was naturally good at fighting and I like it. Souya didn't like fighting but he knew how to defend himself. He also didn't like the fact that I fought so often.

One day, when we were nine, a group of middle schoolers ganged up on me.

- A bunch of ten middle schoolers against a kid from elementary school, huh? Aren't you ashamed of yourselves, cowards?

I was gloating, but after a few minutes, I was down and out of breath.

- What are you smiling about, you little brat?

- Are you proud of yourself, you jerk? It's so pathetic to bring nine guys with you while I'm alone. Come and fight solo, you coward!

He approached me and continued to punch me. I knew that it was already a waste of time, but my pride prevented me from admitting defeat.

- "Look, there's his brother looking at us over there." One of them said.

Shit, I completely forgot about Souya!

- Souya, don't stay there!

I wanted to get up to help him but I didn't have the strength anymore as they approached him.

- What's wrong with you, kid? Do you want to end up like the other one over there?

- Leave... Leave my big brother alone! I don't want you to hurt him anymore!

- Oh look at him! He'll start crying!

Souya started to cry under the laughter of the students. I wanted to go, to protect him, to reassure him, but I couldn't.

When I turned my head towards him, I saw that all of them were on the ground and not moving. I looked up at Souya and he was as if possessed. His eyes showed no emotion, his gaze was empty. He was giving off a frightening aura. Is he really the one who had done this?

He sat down and brought his feet to him, as if to protect himself. I got up and walked over to him.

- You can stop crying now, Souya.

Souya seemed to wake up. He looked around and saw that everyone was stunned.

- What happened here? Did... did I do this?

- From now on, I want you to let your big brother handle it. It's my job to protect you, Souya. So promise me you'll never cry again, okay?

The students were then rushed to the hospital. The police were called and the officers questioned us. I explained the situation to them while Souya was still in tears. They listened to me from beginning to end.

- I see. Now, can you tell us what really happened, kid?

- But I ain't lying!

- From the way you're smiling, it looks more like you're just messing with us!

Then my parents showed up. My mother didn't even bother to look at the police officers as she walked over to Souya and me and knelt down in front of us.

Are you guys all right? Why are you crying, Souya? And you, Nahoya, are hurt all over! Tell me, what happened to you?

- Ma'am, you-

- Just stay in your corner and shut up!

My father always told me that I had the same character as my mother. She was impulsive, stubborn, and vulgar. My father was completely different. He was calm and polite. Like Souya.

- Tell me what happened to you, sweetheart.

I told her everything from the beginning and she listened to me without interrupting me once and nodded. When I finished, she stood up and turned to the policemen.

- Well then? You asked them to tell you the facts and that's what he did, right? So what's the fucking problem?

- Yes, but... Do you believe him? What he's saying is a bit dubious, pretty impossible, and-

- Are you saying my son is a liar?

- No, no it's just that- Yes, I think he's lying.

- I want you to know, gentlemen, that my son has never lied to me and he won't do it today!

She took us both by the hand and was about to leave the office. The agents were shocked.

- Ma'am, you can't-

- You can't what? You've had your questions answered, right? Then you have no right to hold my children here any longer!

She continued walking and took us out of the office, while my father apologized. Souya, who had been silent for a while, spoke up.

- Mom? Am I some kind of monster?

She crouched down in front of him and kissed his forehead.

- No Souya, you are not a monster. What happened to you could have happened to anyone. Don't listen to them, you're the nicest boy ever, okay?

At that moment, my father came out of the office as well. He looked at us by turns and sighed.

- Nahoya, I didn't teach you to fight so that you would become thugs who only think about violence, but so that you can defend yourselves and others when needed. Boys, your strength should always be used to defend a cause you will be proud of. Got it?

We nodded and went home.

Since that day, Souya and I have always been together. We never leave each other and we are inseparable.