# March 2002

When I was thirteen, I met a guy. Takashi Mitsuya from 6-A class. I was one year older than him. This guy was not a guy, he was an angel. He was always nice and friendly to everyone, he never got angry. And as a bonus, he was the president of the sewing club. Everyone loved him, the students, the teachers, I mean EVERYONE.

I don't know how it happened, but we became pretty good friends. I used to hang out at his club during breaks and realized that he wasn't as a do-gooder as I thought.

- Hey, Mitsuya! I've always wondered. What does a guy like you do after school? Pretty sure you do model student things like volunteering or things like that, right?

He stared at me for a moment and chuckled a bit, before continuing his sewing.

- You're way off the mark, Smiley. To be honest, if you wanna know, I'm in a gang.

- You kidding me, right? I ain't that stupid to fall for that. C'mon man, stop screwing with me.

- No shit, I'm really in a gang. I'm one of the founding members of the Tokyo Manji Gang.

- The Tokyo what gang?

- It's okay if you don't know. Right now, the gang only has about 80 members, so it's not well known yet. But it'll be soon. Our boss is the strongest guy in the world.

- So Takashi Mitsuya, the lovely charming boy, isn't as wise as he says he is?

- Shut up. We're entitled to a few foolish things now and then.

- So, how do we do?

- How do we do what?

- Y'know, how do you create a gang?

- Well, first you have to find a bunch of guys to start with. Make a name for yourself in the street. Then the group grows, and that's it.

- I wanna be part of a gang too, sounds cool!

- Well, I can talk to our boss if you want me to. I mean, you're good at fighting, a guy like you in our team would be...

- You don't get it, Mitsuya. I wanna start my own gang and be its leader. I'll be at the top of the Japanese delinquency on my own.

He looked at me as if I had gone crazy and laughed sarcastically.

- Yeah, sure! You can do whatever you want, but I'm warning you. To get to the top, you'll have to beat us first, little demon.

- You don't scare me. The day you and I go head to head, I'll be the leader of a gang and then I'll beat you up.

After school, Souya and I headed home. On our way home, I told him about the new project I had in mind.

- Sooo, Souya? Have you ever thought of starting a gang?

- No, for what?

- Well, I dunno, sounds cool, doesn't it?

- Nahoya, don't even think about starting a gang.

- Nah but why not? Just imagine: starting a gang, becoming a respected, feared and powerful leader. Sounds great, huh?

- But Dad said we shouldn't fight for the sake of fighting.

- Dad said we should fight for a cause that would make us proud. Being a gang leader would make me really proud. But you know Souya, you don't have to join me. I know you don't like violence, I'm just telling you my plans.

He sighed for a long moment and gave up.

- Well, I guess I can't change your mind...

- I'm glad you understand-

- BUT I'm gonna be a part of it too. I don't wanna leave you alone, you might do something dumb if I'm not with you.

- Are you sure about this?

- I am. And it's not like we're gonna kill anyone, right?

- Hehe, thanks Souya!

I know Souya hates needless violence so it means a lot to me that he's joining me.

After that, I started my little business of forming a gang. Mitsuya even made uniforms for us. He really is a nice guy.

Little by little, the group grew. By the end of the year, there were about 60 of us.

Our gang, Souya and I, had become known all over Meguro; it was the Twin Devils gang.