Puzzle Pieces

A/N: So, because the Bygone Adventures episodes are supposed to be quick reads, I am splitting this plot into the next episode, which actually works out really well for what I wanted to do in Episode 3 anyway. So yes, this is the last chapter of this episode, but after this week, I will hopefully have the next episode up soon.

Just add this to your library, and I will post an update notifying you when the next episode is out. Thanks for reading!
..........

Dr. Eggman's Base

   "Sir, are you feeling all right? You haven't touched your lunch," Orbot asked politely.

    Cubot bounced beside him, poking a plate of untouched eggs and bacon. "Yeah! Or your breakfast! Are you sick or something, Boss?"

   Eggman waved at both of them dismissively, his eyes never leaving the screen. He had too much to think about to even bother eating. Something was happening on the island, something big, and he had a feeling that his most powerful ally and his most loathsome enemy were tangled up in it. He just needed to find the connection.

Both of them had been more aggressive than usual towards him. First, Shadow being possessive over that cave and then freeing one of the newly discovered monsters he had captured. Then Sonic falling into a fit of rage because Tails had taken a hit.

     And that was just the tip of the iceberg. Shadow was a hybrid. That in of itself was shocking enough but a hybrid of what? The species wasn't listed in any of his extensive databases, which meant it must be an undiscovered species.

     Eggman had never looked into his ally's origins; every villain was allowed his secrets. But it seemed that the darker hedgehog had a very intriguing backstory that could prove to be key for his current project.

     "Computer replay Recording 0-79."

   The screen blipped to life and pulled up the requested file. It was the first time Shadow had interfered with his recent plans and the first time Eggman had ever seen Shadow at ease.

"A human and his toys decided to check out our borders. I sent him home disappointed. How is the pack?"

Pack. Why did that sound familiar, Eggman wondered. He snapped his fingers. Sonic! Sonic had called Tails pack, and that was the first time he had ever heard his nemesis use such outdated Mobian terminology. Only certain wolf families still used that kind of phrasing.

     "Still asleep, although a few of the hunters and pups are stirring," an unknown voice growled deeply.

    Shadow chuckled, "And I'm assuming Redwing has already told you 'good morning'?"

     A snarl echoed across the video, causing the audio to crackle for a few seconds, "Yes, and I wanted to rip his wings off."

Now that was unusual. If Shadow had any kind of avian descent, it should have been obvious in his genetics—wings, feathers, stuff like that. Perhaps this "Redwing" was a friend. Nah, who was he kidding? The only friend Shadow had was Eggman! And the doctor prided himself in that.

    The black blur didn't seem fazed by his companion's remark, but rather chuckled in dark amusement. "Well, you can take out your early morning rage on our next hunt tomorrow night. We're going to sweep the entire perimeter. I don't want anymore humans or mobians coming close to our territory."

"Our territory?" Eggman mumbled. Packs and wings and territories—not the typical hedgehog family dynamic, so that must mean Shadow was more familiar with the other half of his heritage.