"practice" part 5

Mike’s heart sank a little. “Right, yeah,” he mumbled as Will stood up to collect his things.

Will turned back around with his bag before leaving and Mike’s stomach twisted when he saw his lips were slightly red and spit-slick. “Um, see you– whenever.” Will gave him a weak smile before opening the door and leaving.

Mike’s jaw clenched. Fuck.

When Monday rolled around, Mike couldn’t say that he got no sleep that weekend – he had dozed fitfully for a few hours Saturday night – but he certainly wasn’t at his highest level of brain function.

Which is why when Max chucked a mini paper airplane at his head in class, he barely reacted.

The bell rang to release them for lunch and Mike swung his backpack onto his shoulder silently before walking towards the cafeteria. Max came rolling up beside him.

“I’m like 90% sure I sent that airplane in the right direction, Wheeler, and I didn’t hear so much as a squawk. What gives?”

Mike flicked her shoulder. “Maybe I was paying attention to class, Mayfield.”

“Unlikely, you didn’t say anything for the whole period.”

Mike sighed good-naturedly. “Whatever. Just tired.”

Max didn’t press him any further, which Mike was grateful for.

When the two reached the party’s lunch table, Mike immediately noticed something out of place. Or rather, someone.

“Thank you soooo much Will, I was so confused,” Jennifer Hayes cooed, batting her eyelashes at his best friend – or whatever it was girls did when they were trying to flirt with someone.

Will smiled back at her. “No problem, Jennifer. The assignment’s pretty straightforward once you have that down.”

Mike let his tray of food drop on the table with a clatter and everyone jumped.

“Oh, hey Mike– Jesus, you look like a raccoon,” Dustin said helpfully.

Mike glared at him before taking a seat beside Lucas. “Thanks.”

“Have you been sleeping alright?” El asked from across the table. Mike shrugged in response.

Jennifer hooked her hands together behind her back and blushed a little as Will turned back to her. “Um, well, I’ll see you in class then. Bye Will.” She waved shyly as she retreated.

Mike glowered at her once she had turned around.

“What was that about?” Max asked the question Mike was dying to know.

Will looked up at her. “Oh, Jennifer just had a question about our color theory assignment. She’s in my art class.”

This girl was confused about color theory as a junior in high school? Lord help us.

“She was totally flirting with you,” Lucas crowed, poking Will in the side.

words:435