e l e v e n ↣ epinephrine

┌───────────────────┐

└───────────────────┘

A L I C E

ALICE DUNLAP HAD FORGOTTEN what it was like to live without pain. She'd adjusted to a painful world, living a painful life with the goal of trying to make it through each painful day. The hurting—both mental and physical—had become somewhat of a white noise to the girl. It was just something that maintained a presence in her life, and over time she had no choice but to tune it out.

The constant pain was only bearable to Alice in a state where relief was nonexistent—it was not even an option. But, for the few seconds her body jump-started and the epinephrine drip hit her veins, her fugue state provided her the sweet relief of forgetfulness.

Her eyes slowly fluttered open, soaking in the light from an overhead bulb that shouldn't have had electricity. She didn't know where she was or why she was there, but what she did know was that she was not caught up to speed.

An aching feeling soon clenched at her muscles as she attempted to lift her head. That was when her pain came back.

And with the pain came the memories that ran parallel to the awful feeling.

Alice had not hurt quite like that ever since she got sick at the prison, but this aching was different. It was a tightness that coincided with her sore ribs and a pulsating rhythm in her casted lower arm.

Alice Dunlap remembered despite how badly she'd missed being confused. She had been bombarded with the truth, isolating herself on the front steps of the church in order to pick up the pieces. But the isolation didn't last long as she came into contact with something that further derailed whatever she had left of her life.

The girl awoke to someone strange sitting at the foot of her hospital bed.

Upon the labored opening of Alice's eyes, she discovered that it was a lady wearing a police uniform.

Only for a second did the girl think that she was back in the real world and that a cop needed a statement from her about the accident. Maybe she'd gotten a really bad concussion and this was all a sedation dream.

But it wasn't until the girl's eyes traced the cop's gaze and caught sight of who she was talking to that she realized that she was still living in this nightmare.

Beth Greene, sitting on the floor of her hospital room, was a perplexing sight to see. She had two sutured scars caressing both sides of her face and even failed to notice that Alice was awake as she discreetly picked at the lining of the cast around her wrist. The last Alice had heard of her was that she'd gone missing after escaping the prison with Daryl. The girl couldn't even remember the last time she'd talked to Beth—if ever.