Chapter Six

Fa'iza Mubarak Hakimi.

I have gone on a few dates before, most of which Ummi forced me to go to or Ruqayya asked me to accompany her only for me to go and find it it's a double date and I've been set up for a blind date. So this date is actually something I'm putting in efforts for, and I have no idea what to wear.

It already 3.45pm and Abdallah said our ride will arrive by 4.30pm. And even though I insisted we use mine, Ruqayya's or both our cars, Abdallah outright refused. He said he has already rented two cars, one for each of our duos. I think the man has an ego or something. Or he's one of those misogynistic men with twisted thoughts about women. I can't be sure, but I will find out on this date.

That was the first time I spoke to Abdallah by the way. We have never spoken, until today when he saw me coming back from a celebratory outing with one of my uni friends and he told me the times and other details for the date.

I would've asked for Ruqayya's help but the woman has been in front of the mirror for the past hour, apparently making herself up, covering up blemishes and watching videos on feminine energy and all those stuff, none of which I think will help her but who am I to say anything?

And now, here I am, looking through my abaya rack for the umpteenth time. I know Ruqayya won't like me matching with her, so the olive two piece abaya is out of the question. My eyes go over the handful of abayas I have and I decide to finally look at the other racks.

Laces, shadda and kampala are not even options. So I'm left with atamfas and the other clothes I won't even spare a look. I finally decide on a pink and blue wrap-around gown with a blue veil. I don't bother with makeup, not today. I just simply apply lip gloss and a bit of kohl to make my tired eyes look less lifeless. I had another nightmare last night, hence the tired eyes.

I step out, hoping not to come across Ummi but unfortunately she's right by the stairs, with her book in hand, this time a history book about Abubakar Sadiq RA. She frowns the moment she sights me coming. I plaster a smile and stand in front of her.

"Meye haka?" I frown.

"Meya faru?" Ummi takes in my outfit.

"Did you see what your sister wore?" I shake my head.

"Kije ki saka gown, koh riga da skirt."I look down at my outfit. Am I not wearing a gown?

"I'm wearing a gown, Ummi." Ummi does something with her eyes that resemble a roll.

"Let's go." I sigh and follow behind. There's no escaping Ummi now. I have to dress up.

We enter my room and go straight to the closet. It take Ummi less than five minutes to pick out a pleated high-waist skirt together with a matching body hug, shoes, a veil and jewelries. It's like the woman already pictured me in the clothes before we came into the room.

"Get dressed." And then she walks out of the closet, no doubt to go wait for me in the room. It's a red skirt with white polka dots, the body hug is red and the veil is white. Then the shoe are silver heels. The jewelries, consisting of a long chain necklace that rests on my bosom, small studs for earrings, two knuckle rings, a bracelet and tiny hoop earrings that are silver. It's good she didn't insist I put any jewelry in my nose piercing, I only do that when I'm feeling confident.

When I step out, she smiles proudly.

"Now this is my daughter. Ina jakan?" I sigh and without argument, I go back and pick the bag that came with the shoes I'm wearing and hold it. Her smiles morphs into a grin and she stands up and blows prayers over my head before she leaves. I put my phone, ATM card —just incase—, and my lip gloss in the bag then step out.