You

❝𝑊𝑒 𝑤𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑏𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑑, 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑤𝑒 𝑤𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑑 𝑜𝑓 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑏𝑒𝑠𝑡❞

~•~

Ming-Lee, together with Taehyung, founded a  website dedicated to social justice issues—Truth. They had been discussing for weeks about their debut collaborative project regarding the Iseul-Ho disaster, when the tragedy came into their radar…again, with ceaseless protest and hollers for justice being re-kindled by the Truth. 

Images of the capsized ferry, rising water levels, entrapped victims with help purposefully being banished and rescue boats, filled everyone's TV screens. Friends and families sat glued to the images of passengers on board missing and loved ones still holding onto a faint hope of the deceased returning, their hearts aching. 

Taehyung's heart altered to a heaviness, as he, in unity with Ming-Lee, approached the dull sombre house. A few days ago, when Ming-Lee had been digging through the victims' backgrounds, Taehyung sent a request to one of the families he found to be apt and willing, and received an affirmation from them. 

As Taehyung and Ming-Lee walked forward, they saw an old woman, barely in a position to be erect without her cane, standing outside. She looked frail, her eyes sunken, rails of tears still visible on her cheeks.

"Ms. Lee, I am Jeon Taehyung," promptly Taehyung presented a brief introduction about them, "And this is my partner, Ms. Park Ming-Lee. We have come to talk to you, we are from the website Truth. And I sent you a text a few days ago, you affirmed to our request," he said softly as he approached the elderly woman. 

The woman nodded wordlessly, and led both the individuals to a small living room. When both Ming-Lee and Taehyung had driven in the depths of a shabby couch, across from Ms. Lee, the elder woman had not spoken a word— her eyes were fixed on Taehyung waiting for him to break the silence. 

"Thank you for agreeing to talk to us. We are trying to make sure that the families of the Iseul-Ho tragedy are heard," Taehyung said gently, "Ms. Lee we-"

"Call me grandma," her eyes were stubbornly reading Taehyung, "...please."

Taehyung let out a soft chuckle, "We want to share the stories of the victims and their families so that people can understand the gravity of what happened. Grandma, can you please tell me about your grandchild?" Taehyung held the wrinkled hands of Ms. Lee, evidencing that no matter what he and his partner Ming-Lee would always be there for the woman.

Ms. Lee's gaze lingered on Taehyung, then slowly she began to speak, "My granddaughter, Lee Yuna, was beautiful, kind and gentle. She had just turned twenty two when she passed away. She was a literature teacher in Dawom High School, she had recently, just very recently landed a job in that institute. She was very excited for her first school trip over waterways with her students and other teachers, but then…she never came back."

Ming-Lee listened intently, writing down notes on a pad. Whereas as Ms. Lee spoke, Taehyung could see the pain in her eyes and the immense love she beheld for her granddaughter. 

"Yuna's boyfriend called her during the mishap in my presence and Yuna's last words were…Can't talk now, I have to save my students. Will call you later," Ms. Lee trembled, "But she…never called again. Nor did Yuna ever speak to us again."

"I miss her everyday. Yuna's parents, unable to bear the crippling grief, transferred to Seoul. And here I am left…all alone," Ms. Lee said, her voice barely above a whisper.