Feel

❝𝐼 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑎 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑜𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟 𝑤ℎ𝑜 𝑏𝑟𝑜𝑘𝑒 𝑏𝑒𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑛 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑤𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑠𝑙𝑒𝑒𝑝𝑖𝑛𝑔❞

~•~

Penetrating verdict echoed through the courtroom, the defendant- getting on his nerves, who was being held accountable.

The Iseul ferry Captain, wilted in his chair, helpless as a paper boat caught up in a storm. The eyes of all those present bore down on him, heavy with pain, and anger, and devastation- yet, his lawyer, Chulseok, stood by his side, a hand pressed gently to his back, offering a feeble measure of comfort he could concoct.

However, the Captain had no time for solace, no patience for words of compassion. "This is your doing," Yoon seethed, "If you'd have really done your job, if you'd fought harder, we could have won this case."

Chulseok recoiled, affronted by the unwarranted blame- retorting, being passive-aggressive.

"I did everything that I could, everything that was possible given the paucity of evidence we had...

...But even with a stronger case, Mr. Yoon, any verdict that condemned you would have been inevitable. You can not deny that you are the cause of the deaths of hundreds of people."

The Captain spat in fury. "You don't understand anything. This was all a conspiracy. From the beginning, they were after me!!"

The lawyer's eyes widened in disbelief. He curbed his urge of violence,

"You are deluded. This was a tragedy that was avoidable if you had enforced proper safety measures.

"CHULSEOK YOU!-"

"STOP!!" Chulseok shrieked, "You are nothing but a heartless, life devouring monster..."

With that, the latter tossed a handful of crumpled bills on the table in front of Captain Yoon, the sum he had given Chulseok as a payment. "I refuse to remain associated with you or your filthy money. I can't represent someone like you, someone that sickens me...someone that nauseates me..."

The man in his late 40s stared at Chulseok dumbstruck, as the advocate strode away, leaving him in abject despair. Even Ji Yoon, who had followed the altercation with bated breath, was taken aback by the intensity of her opponent's statements.

Ensuing, Chulseok gradually, but surely made his way towards her, his face sculpted with remorse- Ji Yoon offered him a reassuring smile...

"I'm sorry, Ji Yoon," Chulseok took her hands in his, "I had no choice."

Ji Yoon nodded her head understandingly, a gentle smile tossing against her melancholic face, appreciative of the indefensible position he was forced into. "I know. You did the right thing. The families of the victims will respect you for your integrity."

Tears of shame gleamed in Chulseok's eyes. "I only wish I could have done more."

"Hold on," Ji Yoon dipped his hands into the purse, drawing out a stack of threads and offered Chulseok a yellow ribbon in remembrance of the deceased. "Begin by tying this around your wrist," she said softly.

Chulseok accepted the ribbon gratefully, head bowed low, his hands quivering slightly as he knotted it firmly. "Thank you," he murmured, his voice quaking with emotion.

Taehyung scanned the faces of those around him- each expression conveyed a complex mix of emotions: joy, relief, heartbreak, and a sense of justice finally served.

Victory for the victims' families was tangible, yet bittersweet; they knew their loved ones would never truly return...but at least now they can rest in peace...