Chapter 1 : Tangled Threads

The alarm rang and read 4'o clock.

Layla woke up.
Another day.

She laid there silently. Wondering... how strangely life has turned out to be. She thought about her mom and dad, Lily and Jayden. Tears were brimming in her eyes and they rolled down her cheeks, as she turned in the bed and switched off the alarm.

"I wish life had turned out the other ways. A little less messy, a little less painful," she whispered to herself while wiping off her tears. Layla took her time to make an effort and finally got out of the bed. She followed her morning routine, and once out of the shower, she planned the day in her diary. After all that she came down to the kitchen and began to prepare the breakfast for herself.

Life is weird. Layla thought about Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Hiraclitus, and such while chopping the veggies. Their theories were good. But as Liana always says, "World philosophies on one hand, and the philosophy of love on other. And the latter makes you forget all the former."

Never had Layla thought of a life that she had gotten herself into. It was all good while she was in Italy. She was studying, working, and happy. And then she got back to Seoul. And it all changed.

By the time she had finished eating, along with constant wondering, servants were set off to do the daily chores.

Yes, she is rich. There are many servants. Each for almost every other thing, as Layla remembered how emmaculate the owner of the mansion was with all the little things. Each corner was supposed to be perfect and impeccable. And as he was away right now, Layla made sure that every niche was maintained as prettily as it was when he had left, so that when he comes back, he should be filled with nostalgia and all the lovely memories again. Though she wasn't sure when it would be the time for him to return.

So for now she instructed the house help and made sure that the chores were done properly.

When it was 7 o'clock, she set herself once again to prepare food. Layla started preparing mixed vegetable soup and a tuna salad, Jayden's favourite. She was done in an hour and ordered the chauffeur to get the Mercedes ready. As soon as it was in the driveway, Layla packed the food, got into the car, and got heading to the place where Jayden was.

.
.
.
.

After a fifteen minute drive, Layla arrived at the Seoul National Hospital. She got out of the car and told the driver that she will be away for a good while. The sun was still fresh, not too bright to itch her eyes. Layla adjusted her white bodycon dress, carried the packed food along, crossed the parking lot, ignored a filthy looking man with a leering gaze, got into the elevator and went straight to the 13th floor, room no-713.

Layla knocked at the door and entered. She saw that the nurse was giving some injection to Jayden, who was comfortably sitting on the bed. His muscular built was broken, his eyes as dark as his coal hair looked weary. His jawline was chiselled, but due to weakness.

'Good morning Jayden, good morning Miss Jane,' Layla greeted with a calm smile. 'How is Jayden responding to the treatments?'

'He is responding well, though the progress is slow,' Jane replied while rubbing the spot on his arm, with cotton dipped in spirit, at which the injection was given, 'but we should be grateful that he is out of all danger,' she adds and smiles. 'I will leave now.' The nurse tapped Layla's shoulder in an assuring way and left.

Layla came forward and sat down on the stool beside the bed. All this while Jayden had been staring at her blankly.

'Did you sleep well last night?' she asked him softly.

'They gave me somniferous drugs,' Jayden said.

'Are your wounds paining?'

'I took the painkillers, she just gave me morphine.'

'Why are your eyes swollen? Have you been crying?' although she knew, Layla asked anyway.

'Yes! And now my head is aching.'

'You want me to get you tea or coffee?'

'No, I'm just hungry. I want to eat.'

'Oh Yes! Here... I brought you soup and salad,' she said.

Layla sets the bed-table and places the food on it. Jayden looked at the food, then at Layla, and then back at the food. She leaned over and started feeding him. He drank and ate quiety, still staring at her and thinking really hard.

'Is something wrong?' she asked.

Suddenly, with no emotions whatsoever, 'Do you love me?' Jayden asked Layla, looking intently at her.

'Yes, I do. You have doubts?'

'Why do you love me though?'

'Love has its reasons, and they are often unknown,' Layla said and tried to smile genuinely at him.

'Did I love you as hard as you love me?' Jayden asked again, his eyes searching.

'Jayden, you have loved me harder than I could ever love you,' Layla caresses his face trying to soothe him.

Jayden, due to constant thinking, overthinking rather, eventually lost it in frenzy. 'Layla,' his voice was irritated and tired, 'you know I feel frustrated. This is all so unfair, so stupid!'

Layla tried to soothe him again, 'It will be alright Jayden. Soon everything will be fine. We all are here for you.'

But Jayden couldn't calm down and was filled with agitation, 'Why the hell I can't remember anything?' he almost yelled.

'Because you are suffering from 'Amnesia'! 'A-M-N-E-S-I-A'. For how many times do we need to tell you that huh?!'

While speaking that jokingly, Tyler Owens entered the room. Leon Rhodes and Norman Adler followed him in.

'Good morning Jayden!' Leon greeted him dryly.

Norman did the same, but with a good vigour, 'Good morning man!'

'Good morning all of you,' Jayden said.

Layla got up to leave but, 'Don't go yet. We need to talk,' Tyler stopped her.

Layla remained there silently, and got nervous when she noticed that Leon had been staring at her with anger in his eyes. Clearly he was pissed, it was Leon's usual mood.

'So, how's my young man?' Norman asked Jayden cheerfully.

'Frustrated, I guess.' Leon said that casually, while checking the room. He looked at the walls, as if he expected to spot a bug or a thing.

Jayden was going really hard on himself. His friends, and gang mates, whom he has forgotten, were trying their best to help him. But it wasn't easy for either of them. In the midst of their round-the-bush talking, the nurse Miss Jane returned.

'The doctor is waiting for you people in his office,' she informed them.

'Sure! We are coming,' Norman replied, 'Layla, you should come with us as well.'

Since Norman had called her, she decided to go along. She would have avoided it otherwise, as she was aware of herself being a cause for Leon's constant irritation. Layla had observed whenever she was around, Leon was a bit infuriated. Lately, with Layla, he is more than just infuriated. But now that Layla has Norman's permission, she can follow without worry.

Norman went out of the room and Leon followed him sharply. Tyler gave a comforting smile to Layla and asked her to go ahead. Before closing the door he told Jayden, 'We will be back soon. Take care. Relax! We love you. And yes Layla loves you as well.' She blushed at such a sudden mention. 'So stop asking her that question again and again,' Tyler added with a laugh and Jayden too joined in somewhat shyly. And with that Tyler and Layla left.

'Relax!' Jayden reminded himself. But in vain. No matter how hard he tried his mind always bursted with millions of questions. Questions about himself, questions about these people around him who were taking care of him. It was all a mess. He was in a constant process of untangling the threads day and night. He would relax only when drugs woulds take over, and now Jayden realized that the morphine was taking over, bringing sleep along, and he gave in.