Chapter 2 : Shielded and Spied

The tiles were cool. The curtains were aqua green, chilling the ambience even more. People on either sides were sitting sorrowfully, mourning over a kin's disease or demise. However, on the floor above, people were usually ecstatic as they welcomed new beings in their families. Layla often wondered about the contrast between above and below, merriment and mourning. The contrast between a 'probable heaven' and a 'pathetic hell'. People, nurses, ward boys, patients on wheelchair, walkers and stretchers, were passing by through the hospital corridors. Amidst them, they were heading towards the doctor's cabin.

Norman with Leon was walking ahead, discussing along about an appointment which was in half an hour. Tyler and Layla were not far behind, and Tyler was listening to his senior mates' conversation. He was holding Layla's hand warmly too, making her feel at home. If Leon was always angry with her, then Tyler was always friendly with her. Leon always dismissed Layla's existence, while Tyler always welcomed her in their family. A family with no blood relations, just purposes. Purposes, and a natural affiliation that arises from them. Leon had his reasons to hate, while Tyler had his own ones to trust.

Layla silently walked along, praying in her heart that the doctor may have something good to tell this time. Soon on the floor, and slowly in her mind, they reached the doctor's cabin.

'Good morning to all of you. Please have a seat,' the doctor invited them in.

'Good morning Mr. Han. Thank you!' Norman greeted back. Usually he had a pleasing disposition. He was tall, intelligent, strong, but not stiff or arrogant in manners, unlike his contemporaries in the business.

They all sat down and then Mr. Han started stating the recent reports.

'Only a month ago Jayden had gone through a Transcatheter Repair, as he had a Ventricular Septal Defect, which was non-congenital, a rare case. We were worried that this might result in further complications with respect to the treatments he is going through. He was recovering from this recent heart surgery and all this happened. As you all know that he was injured badly in the accident that happened a week ago, the fractures will be taking their time to heal.

'All things considered, the healing is slow. We are doing our best to make the progress faster. This might have been worst. It's almost a miracle that he is alive...also....'

Leon was pissed enough to interrupt, 'Of course!! God isn't doing any shit, hence Jayden ain't dying anytime soon Mr. Han.'

Norman placed his hand on Leon's shoulder and calmed him down, 'What about the Amnesia doctor? Approximately when will Jayden be able to remember things?' he asked.

'Amnesia is a strange case Mr. Adler. This accident has resulted in the head injury at the back, and a severe hidden one in the front. By mercy, because Leon doesn't believe in miracle, his vision is intact. But with memory problems such as Amnesia, we can't say anything. At times the patient recovers in just ten minutes, at others ten days, or it may take ten years.'

Layla was almost about to tear up. She wanted to have a cathartic release, or an escape, or something. Leon saw her tensed and got even more heated. 'I hope you are as much good in treating your patients as you are in talking,' he spurted out.

'Of course, Mr. Rhodes. I ,and my team, am very much efficient. And also I wanted to tell you that we are bringing in an Orthopedic Surgeon from Gwangju, Miss Kim Nadine. She is a specialist famous for her work. She will be taking charge of Jayden's surgeries,' Mr. Han informed.

'Sure, Mr. Han. Glad to know the updates. We trust you and your decisions. I'm sure Jayden will be fine soon,' Tyler said. He grew up to follow Norman's way. He had pale complexion, hazel eyes, wavy brown hair, along with polite and precise manners.

'Okay! We will take leave then. Thank you. Mr. Han,' Norman decided to wind it up.

'Sure, Take care you all. And Layla,' she looked at him, 'It will be alright, trust us,' he added.

'And for now start moving. We are getting late!' Leon scowled at her next.

Norman, somewhat unhappy with Leon, shook hands with the doctor. Mr. Han didn't take much offence. Leon had left already. And the rest took their leaves too.

Leon was neither too tall, nor too short. He had an exact demeanour about him that was intimidating to almost everyone. However, his icy blue eyes did add a cool to him. But right now Leon was marching with arrogant strides. Others were following him almost obediently, and suddenly Tyler started imitating him. Norman cracked up, Leon turned around, Tyler stopped and Layla froze at the spot. As soon as they had gotten into the elevator, Leon pressed the button for the ground floor. It's clear that he is pissed off.

Tyler thought that he should finally ask her, 'Layla.... Didn't Myron ask you not to get out of home?'

'He did.'

'Then why are you here?'

'I wanted to see Jayden. It was five days ago when I had last met him. Also I brought food for him. He had called over and told that the hospital stuff was boring.'

Leon smirked sarcastically at her answer, 'You care so much for him? And ironically he is in this condition only because of you.'

Norman, sensing the spite, said 'Leon! Will you ever stop it?!'

'It's true Norman, no matter whatever you all say. Layla is the root of all the shit Jayden is going through!'

Tyler had wanted to intervene but, Norman was done with it, 'Enough!' he raged. 'Behave yourself. This is not the way we have taught you. And by the way, I gave my permission to Layla for coming here.'

He lied, he hadn't. Norman just said it because nothing would really calm Leon, but following of orders, by him and by everyone else. He had the true hierarchy blood in him. And that was why he was like that.

Leon rolled his eyes as his final statement. And by the end of the squabble, they reached the ground floor.

'I'll take leave. Have a good day ahead,' Layla said to all of them.

Norman replied, 'Same to you and beware.'

'Where's your car?' Leon asked coldly.

'In the parking lot of block B,' Layla answered demurely.

Leon headed straight, and when he saw that Layla hadn't started walking yet, he called, 'Come fast Layla. I don't have all the time in the world for you.'

Tyler cracked up a little and tapped Layla's head, 'Haha...Go fast!'

Layla nodded and went away, following Leon, who was already striding away with a sharp pace.

Norman couldn't keep his thoughts to himself, 'It's weird the way Leon treats Layla. He scolds her at one moment and then the next moment would be seen shielding her.'

Tyler reflected in a tone of agreement, 'Hmm.... Once he had said to me that Layla's blue eyes and thick brows reminded him of his long lost younger sister.'

.
.
.

Leon, while opening the car door for Layla, 'Get in.' He covered her head so that she shouldn't hit herself. 'Do you have money?'

'Yes I have,' she replied.

'Here, take some more,' and with that he handed her plenty of it. 'If you need anything you may call anyone of us. And go home straight. Don't roam around the city,' Leon said that as an order.

'Yes, I'll be home straight.'

'Call Tyler once you reach. Take care,' he added and left.

Layla turned to driver, 'Home.'

'Sure,' Jake answered. Jake wasn't just a chauffeur. He was an important young man working under them.

Layla's car left the parking lot, and a man standing near a pillar, whom Layla had noticed while arriving, made a call.

'She has left. She is alone.....No, only the driver.....Leon Rhodes was there but he is not with her....OK....'

And the spy ended the call.