09 - Promises

~Broken Him~

The news did not take much time to reach. The entire family reached Srinagar where Mallika was being transferred and still wasn't responding to any treatment.

First her parents went inside the ward and her mother broke into sobs seeing her condition. M'D consoled her and they walked out quietly not being able to bear such a sight. Next her in-laws went inside and caressed her face softly. "get well soon beta, you're my son's lifeline." his mom whispered to her and moved outside to see Sumedh leaning against the wall with a blank face.

"Visiting hours will be closed in half an hour." A doctor informed. Everybody looked at Sumedh wanting him to go inside and meet her before they restrict entry.

But he wasn't so strong. To enter the ward and see his wife unconscious and not responding. He wanted her to smile, to laugh, to argue with her.

Yuvan stood behind watching his teammate's husband carefully. He walked to him.

"It is 11:15 now. From 12:00 to 3:00 they will keep her under observation and from 4:30 visiting hours are open." He explained the rules.

"I-i.s anyone allowed to stay?" Sumedh said in a shaky voice.

"I stay, like i stayed yesterday for safety purposes and any emergency." Yuvan explains.

"I can stay from now." He said calmly.

"Are you sure?" Yuvan questioned shocked.

"That's my wife Mr. Verma." he said with a sad smile.

"Alright then, but once the doctors go inside you have to stay outside only. Take care" He patted Sumedh's shoulder and left with a nod.

"We're staying nearby, call us if you need anything." His in laws say and leave.

"Are you okay?" his dad asks. He chuckles softly.

"She told me she will come back to me." He says.

"Just think practically okay?" he nodded at his father and glanced at his mother and walked inside the room. As soon as the door shut close, he closed his eyes and leaned against the door.

'Promise me you will live the way you live now with or without me?'

'how can you leave me?'

'there are consequences and situations, don't be emotional ,be practical'

He opens his eyes and blinks twice before walking to her. He kisses her forehead standing on her right side ad sits on the chair beside her carefully holding her hand.

'you didn't purchased me anything?'    'you're too greedy, you've me isn't it enough?'

"You're more than enough for me." He starts.

'girls are supposed to cry on proposals.'       'oh I'm unlike those girls mister in case you forgot.'

"You're not unlike, you're one piece that God created." He paused.

'for me, only for me' he said softly caressing her hand.

'Take care of the family'

"I did my responsibility."

'And get a promotion'

"I did get a promotion you know. And you're the reason behind it. Thankyou." He said.

The door flung open and two doctors entered. Sumedh gets up instantly.

"We're on observation duty. You can stay outside." He nodded, took a last glance and came outside. He did not sit down rather kept walking in the entire corridor for 2 hours. He could hear mummers and whispers between the doctors, taking out of instruments and attendant coming out, going inside numerous times.

Around 2:50 the voices grew louder. He walked closer and the door opened where the nurse came panicking.

"What's happening?" he questioned in haste

"Officer Mallika is breathing but it's uneven." He looked through the door. Doctors put oxygen mask on her face but she wasn't stopping.

The doctor put on a syringe but nothing worked again. Sumedh kept looking until the nurse came back and put a curtain to the view.

After 20 mins everything got silenced. The doctor came out.

"How is my wife?" he asked

"Join me in my cabin." He followed him hastily.

"Sit down Mr, Mudgalkar." he was on the edge of loosing his patience already.

"Just tell me now." he said settling immediate.

"She responded to the treatment." he sighed in relief but stopped when the next words came out.

"But now she fell into coma."

FREEZED

It felt like the ground beneath him had shaken.

'W...hat?' He managed to speak out.

"We tried whatever we could but now i cannot do anything. I'm sorry"

Without a single word he got up and went outside the cabin walking straight into her ward.

"You want to get rid to me so easily?" he chuckled and walked towards her.

"I know I'm not the perfect husband, far away from perfection I couldn't protect, couldn't provide you the best of doctors, could not fulfil your every wish. " A tear escaped his eyes.

"but I love you, with all my heart, mind and soul."

"and I'm not letting you escape so easily." he promised.  

.

.

.

VOTE, COMMENT AND SHARE!