𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖊

"I told you I don't know!"

     Lucien and Tamlin had been relentlessly in their interrogation of me for the last twenty minutes. All I'd been told was that Feyre had found a head on a spike in the gardens, and it had a marking from the Night Court.

     They had found me peacefully reading a mystery novel in the library, and Tamlin had snatched the book from my hand. I had glared up at him, but had no time to speak before they bombarded me with questions. 

"These are your people, Astraea!" Lucien snapped at me, the two of them still staring down at me as I sat on the library couch.

"Rhys stopped letting me in on his plans long ago," I reminded them with a huff. "Why else would I be here?"

"The banishment could be a hoax," Lucien theorized, crossing his arms as he straightened. "You could be a spy."

"Oh, please," I scoffed, rolling my blue eyes. "You know it's not a hoax. You were there when she banished me. Besides, I would never agree to alive here. Even if I was spying."

"Do you know what this could mean?" Tamlin asked me, pushing Lucien to the side. 

     I let loose a sigh, considering the possibilities. Most likely, it had been Amarantha, and she'd made Rhys spike it in the gardens. Or, Rhys had done it as a way to remind Tamlin that he was the one who sent him Rhys's mother and sister's head in a box. 

"Honestly, it's very likely just Rhys messing with you," I admitted with a shrug. "It's likely a jab at what you did to Iridessa and Angelina." 

"I didn't--" 

"You may not have killed them, but you were the one that sold them out," I cut him off, finally ready for this argument that we'd been avoiding for decades, now. "Rhys trusted you." 

"It was long ago, and I regret it," he said to me, his tone sharp. 

"Regret won't bring them back," I said, narrowing my eyes at him. "Iridessa was good. She was like a mother to me. And she would've welcomed you with open arms had Rhys brought you by. Angelina was just a little girl. You're a sick monster, you know that?" 

"That's enough," Tamlin said, his eyes distant. "Fine. You claim to know nothing? We'll believe you. But if anything else happens--" 

"We will come to you with more questions, should anything else happen," Lucien cut him off, sending him what looked like a warning glance. "That'll be all for now." 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

      I dug a ruffly, white sundress out from the back of my closet. One that billowed out when I spun in a circle. The Summer Solstice would always have a special place in my heart. 

     After Iridessa, took me in, we'd all gone to the Summer Court for vacation every year. It was certainly more exciting there than it was here. But it gave me a time to remember her, and the good that she did for me, and for my brother. 

     I entered the foyer to find Tamlin and Lucien waiting on Feyre, who, it seemed, was still getting ready for the festivities. 

     When Feyre came down the stairs, she struck my eye immediately. She was truly gorgeous, nearly glowing in her dress, the skirt whishing as she walked. 

"Cauldron boil me," Lucien whistled. "She looks positively Fae."

"Feyre, you look stunning," I gasped, grinning at the young girl. A blush stained her cheeks, but she murmured a soft 'thank you.'

"You look lovely," Tamlin said to her when she got to the foot of the stairs.

"I'm surprised I'm even allowed to participate tonight," she said pettily. I snorted, rolling my eyes.

"Unfortunately for you and your neck," Lucien countered, "tonight is just a party." 

"Do you lie awake at night to come up with all your witty replies for the following day?"

      Lucien winked at her, and Tamlin laughed and offered her his arm. The four of us headed towards the garden.

"He's right," Tamlin confirmed. "Solstice celebrates when day and night are equal—its a time of neutrality, when everyone can take down their hair and simply enjoy being a faerie—not High Fae or faerie, just us, and nothing else."

"So, there's singing and dancing and excessive drinking," I chimed in, falling into step beside her.

"And dallying," Lucien added with a wicked grin. I just scoffed at him.

     The sun was beginning its final descent when we reached the plateau on which the festivities were to be held.

     Table after table of food had been lined up along the far edge of the plateau. Music started near the giant, smoking bonfire—fiddles and drums and merry instruments.

     I went off by myself until I noticed Feyre pouring herself a goblet of golden sparkling wine. I approached the girl and tapped her shoulder. She spun around to face me.

"Do not drink the faerie wine," I warned her with a shake of my head.

"Oh?" she said, frowning at the fizzing liquid.

"You are a human, this is for Fae," I hinted, wrinkling my nose. I wasn't even sure what it would do to her. 

"Hmm," she hummed, taking a sniff of the liquid.

"I'm serious," I said as she lifted the glass to her lips, her brows raised. I went to reach for it, but she shifted it out of my reach. "Tamlin will not be happy with me if you drink that."

"So you're looking after your best interests," she said, and pointedly chugged the contents of the glass. She laughed aloud, and I groaned.

"Human fool," I sighed, crossing my arms and shaking my head.

"I'm going to paint you," she said, and giggled—actually giggled—as the words popped out.

     Before I could stop her, she'd downed another glass of faerie wine. She kicked her shoes off and stared at the dancing faeries. She rushed to dance after them, but stumbled.

"Damn it, Feyre," I said, gripping her elbow. "Do you want me to kill myself trying to keep you from impaling your mortal hide on another rock?"

"What?" she said, turning to me. She tried to run off again. 

"Feyre, stop." I grabbed her again.

"You stop. Stop being so serious," she said, shaking me off.

     I swore under my breath as she burst into movement. She skipped between the dancers, twirling her skirts.

     She stopped dancing when she noticed Tamlin playing the fiddle. He glanced up at her and I rushed to their side.

"I'm sorry, Tamlin," I panted.  "I left her alone for a little at one of the food tables, and when I caught up to her, she was drinking the wine, and—"

     Tamlin didn't pause in his playing. His golden hair damp with sweat. He gave Feyre a feral smile as she began to dance in place before him.

"I'll look after her," Tamlin murmured above the music. "Go enjoy yourself."