Chapter 5: A Parfait Predicament

Y/n POV

Ruby is running in the words after leaving the Herbalist's place for us to be held in her hands for her to stop from running, getting as far away from that place. I can't believe it, I saw my mom... how is that possible? There's no way this place knows my previous life. It doesn't matter now, we're out of that crazy house.

Curious Cat: I'm so glad the five of you are still the five of you.

I saw the Curious Cat jumping from Mushroom to Mushroom and stops to look at us.

Curious Cat: Not always the case in the Ever After.

Weiss: You're the one who ditched us in the first place! Which by the way, was how we ended up in that Mushroom House to begin with. You know, or that Delirious caterpillar guy tried to drug us and then was swallowed up by a freaking hole in the ground?!

Curious Cat: Ah, yes, yes. Alyx had a similar reaction the first time she saw someone return to the Ever After, but it's not how it seems. Well, I suppose it is, but not the way you think, if you think like Alyx. Which it seems like you do.

The Curious Cat jumped from Mushroom to Mushroom again to go ahead on the path.

Curious Cat: Aha. We're here.

Ruby followed the Curious Cat down the path. After she followed the cat, we all saw a river leading to the other side, where there was a place that looks like a market. There are other people from different Acres that were going to this market.

Curious Cat: Better run.

Ruby looks to see the cat on a big frog leaf for her to jump on it and it starts to float the market.

Yang: So, cat, going to explain to us why a giant caterpillar disappearing into a hole isn't how it how it seems?

Ruby places us on her shoulders for me to be next to Little.

Curious Cat: When we break or wear out or simply finish what we were made to do, we are called back, but Herb, his heart was too weak to listen. So I gave him a little bit of mine.

You: And it somehow made him fall into a hole?

Curious Cat: Precisely.

Blake: Is he... dead?

Curious Cat: (chuckles) Oh, no, no, well maybe a little bit, but not at all.

Ruby sits down on the leaf.

Yang: Ugh, which is it?!

Curious Cat: (clears throat) Now that Herb's properly returned, he'll be fixed up nice and made into the Herb he wanted to be when he was still Herb, then he'll come back and find his purpose, could be the same as before, or maybe not.

Ruby: When Herb comes back, will he remember anything?

Curious Cat: (laughs and lies down on the leaf) What would be the point of that? (stretches) Just like Alyx you lot, I know I know where you're from things die, but we're just not like you at all. We ascend. Herb will have a purpose again.

Weiss: That's impossible, things have to die someday, right?

Curious Cat: What? Goodness, no. Though, I suppose there is a creature, uh, no, no, that's not the sort of thing you talk about in polite company.

We all then made it to land where the market is for the cat to jump off the leaf for Ruby to follow him, for the rest of my team to continue their conversation with the Curious Cat.

I then saw a blue hawk selling cookies that look like mud, that looks gross, I'm not sure if Ruby wants to eat those.

Blake: Wait, so what happened to Herb, is that what happened to the King?