2,012 Years Back

A/N: for the sake of confusion, the names of the characters will not change.

••••••••••

Jisoo, age 12:
When I lost everything.

Jisoo stared at the 2 graves dug out.

She held her arms by her side and watched her mother and father, both wrapped neatly in white bandages, get lowered into the ground.

She could hear the priest talking but nothing was registering in her head.

She swallowed and watched the gravediggers push the soil back on top to close the grave.

She had already cried enough the last week in preparation for that day.

The funeral of her family.

Jisoo clenched her hands into fists.

This is unfair! Why me?!

And tears pricked her eyes all over again.

She took a shaky breath as a officer that came in a blue silk and steel armor, lifted her up by the arm and said gruffly, "Time to go, little one."

Jisoo swallowed and nodded as she took her small knapsack and personal belongings inside it, before following the Ganghan soldier.

She pulled her arm away and brought herself onto the back of the cart.

There were other children as well. All lost and sad.

Alone.

Jisoo swallowed and sat at the very edge, far from the other children who just stared wide eyed as yet another child was orphaned from the small epidemic in their village.

All of the children were in various stages of life.

Some looked from the age of 6 to about her age or a year or 2 older.

Jisoo clutched her small bag to her skinny body and pulled out a string from it. She raised her hands up to her hair and tied the dark hair back.

She looked back at the various other Korean children in the cart.

Ever since the English King, William something or the other, married a Korean woman, Lim Eun-Sook, people of Korean background have migrated to their small kingdom of Ganghan in the last 100 years.

Everyone was taught the story in history.

Now they have an English king who devotedly follows his Korean wife.

Jisoo even heard that they had a daughter only a year younger than her.

Never seen to the public, of course.

She sat there thinking life couldn't get much worse from here.

She had officially sunk to the very bottom.

Parents gone.

No home.

No food.

No love or care.

She sighed and leaned onto the side of the cart as it jostled her from the constant thumping of the horses hooves.

Only way from here is up.

••••••••••

Jisoo, age 14:
When I was picked.

She ran to the crowd of orphans shouting to the King and Queen as they passed through the city.