Chapter 14

Nicole wasn't sure what time it was, but she figured it was late in the afternoon. She was laying on the bench that was held by a chain on either end. It was hard and very uncomfortable, but she didn't really have anything else to do.

At some point, Mason showed up at her cell door and unlocked it. "You're wanted." His eyes told her all she needed to know. Sadness and anger mixed together there. She sighed and got up. He gave her a last sympathetic look before turning his back to her. She followed him down the hallway and into the cell on the end near the door.

She eyed the chair and then the man stepped from the shadows. Clive watched her, a certain madness glinting in his eyes. His hands rubbed together. "That's all I require, Officer Spurlock. You may go now. I can take it from here."

Mason stiffened. "Are you sure you wouldn't like me to bring her back to her cell when you're done?"

Clive waved a dismissive hand. "I appreciate your dedication to the girl that's been your partner, but I would rather you go home. Now."

He gave a stiff nod and turned to Nicole. His eyes were too shiny. He swallowed and his eyes looked so sad that Nicole felt like she was a prisoner saying goodbye to her last friend as she was taken to the guillotine.

Once he was gone, she was alone with Clive. He motioned to the chair. "Have a seat, miss."

She sat down, feeling very uneasy. "What is it, sir?"

He leaned against the wall opposite her and eyed her in a way that made heat rush into her face. "You know how I feel about my son, I'm sure. Ash had probably told you lots of stories about me."

She swallowed and nodded. "He's told me a couple."

He nodded, as if he'd expected this, which she supposed he had. His head cocked. "Then you must be aware I am a very impatient man." He watched her. She made herself sit very still and stare right back at him. He smiled and shook his head. "So much spirit, too. No wonder my son loves you."

She frowned. "What do you mean, 'spirit'?"

He straightened and walked around her. She didn't twist to watch him. "You're defiant and headstrong and everything my son is not." He stopped behind her chair. His hands came to rest on her shoulders. "I wonder how else you're spirited," he breathed against her ear.

Her heart sped up until she thought it was about to thump right out of her chest. She pulled away as his lips lowered to her neck. He roughly pulled her back against the chair. "Don't move," he said in a voice so cold she fought a shiver. "You'll stay right where you are." He moved around until he was in front of her. "My son gets far too much."

Totally getting his implications, she spit in his face, which was really close to hers. He wiped it away. "You're going to regret that," he said, his voice low and menacing.

She grinned. "I doubt that."

---

Ashton thanked Benson for dropping him off and went up to the cottage door. He knocked. Both of his eyes were fully open, so he got a really good look at the angry face of Hailey. "What are you doing here?"

He sighed. "Are Mr. and Mrs. Downs here? I need to speak to them."

She chewed her cheek as she studied him. "What happened to you?"

He shrugged. "Someone jumped me." Which, he supposed, was close enough to the truth. "But I do really need to speak with them."

She rolled her eyes but stepped aside and motioned him inside. As he walked past her, she caught his arm. He looked at her. "Where is she?"