46. Intelligence Spy, Agent Code 53

After taking the whole day off from work yesterday, Shawn returns back to work, and when he saw how HQ was much busier than before. 

With detectives scurrying around, papers flying around, and numerous phone calls ringing none stop. 

However, what caught Shawn's immediate attention was the eruption of gossip that are going around HQ.

"This motherfucker of a murderer left no traces to uncover themselves and now we got a new murder case added to our collection of this year's unsolved murder cases in Marigold." 

Shawn becomes baffled by this new murder case, and before he reaches his office where he would meet with his detective partner, Chase.

Chief Owens makes an appearance in front of everybody.

"Listen, everyone! I understand we're still focusing on the first murder cases, but we must also focus on another new murder case that has been committed and a group of teenagers stumbled upon the victim's body, near the cold waters of a river, just miles away from the victim's beach house. Your detectives and forensic teams are investigating at the crime scene. They immediately confirmed the victim, identified as June Jones, a male in his mid-twenties. A potential witness that connects to the victim's last moments alive, is a professional photographer named William Barnes, have told our detectives the night he last saw Jones alive. The witness could not remember at least one thing from that night and is recovering at the hospital after he fell unconscious. Doctors confirmed he was injected with some illegal substances, that caused him to fail his remembrance."

Just as the chief has explained as much information he got from the other detectives who have reported from the crime scene, he spots Shawn among the rest of the investigation team. 

"Smith, meet me in the conference room," he says and dismissed everyone to go back to their work. 

"Sir, I was not aware of a new murder case as I was taking care of Marina yesterday," Shawn explains as he walks alongside the chief.

"Your job has always been your duty, to serve the safety in our city and defend the innocence against vile crimes, but as you're becoming to be a father of an expected child, that's also your number one priority. The crime rates here in Marigold are skyrocketing and many citizens have reported moving away from the city to a more local safety zone where there is less danger. Your main tasks as both Detective Smith and father-to-be, is to protect this city and your family."

Shawn really liked the encouragement from the chief and he continues on to say, "As I have mentioned about the crime rates rising high in Marigold, I have sought help from other states and even requested help from countries that can offer military assistance and I have able to meet this certain agent, which I will be discussing with the rest of you all in the conference room. So be prepared."

Chief Owens then takes his leave, as Shawn stops right in front of his office. 

"Hey," he greets his partner, who was busy going through massive paperwork. 

"How's Marina? Minhyuk told me about last night, he was worried sick for her health and the baby," Chase asks, recalling his phone call with Minhyuk during the time Shawn had left to search for Marina.

"She's doing well now. She just hasn't moved on yet from-" it was hard for Shawn to mention Mark ad Chase understands what Shawn means and doesn't bother Shawn to say anymore. 

Instead, he changes the topic between them about the announcement of a new murder case. "I assume you already know about a new murder case?"

"Yeah, the chief had explained it all to everyone.