chapter 04 - volleyball trouble

May smiled as she glared at her work. She was almost done, which meant if she got everything finished before school had ended, she'd have no homework left to do. With the corner of her lips cracked into a smile she grabbed her pencil and continued writing on her paper.

Brianna was sitting next to her, though she wasn't as focused on her work as she was. She was smiling brightly whilst absentmindedly staring at her papers barely anything written on them, as if she was daydreaming happily.

May was in the midst of her concentration before she snapped back to the reality with the murmuring of the girl beside her. 'May? I've got a question,' Brianna whispered, quietly flicking her pencil up and down the paper. May lifted her head and looked at her curiously. 'What's up?'

Brianna clenched her fists before some blush crept across her cheeks. 'Out in the sports fields after school there's going to be a volleyball match, and... I'm going to cheer my favorite team on. I'd.. I'd like for you to come with me to watch!' Brianna stuttered, her hair hanging in front of her face.

May rose her eyebrows, quickly glaring down at her almost finished papers. If she managed to finish this really quickly, she'd be able to join her; she had no homework left beside this English work after all. Not wanting to let her hard working friend down, she nodded. 'Sure! I'll join you! Just don't forget to finish your homework before next English class, 'Kay?'

Brianna's cheeks flashed red again as she looked down at her paper. 'Was I daydreaming so much that I barely started on my homework?' She huffed in embarrassment, her eyelids closing. May chuckled lightheartedly at her clumsy friend. 'No sweat, I'll help you out.' May offered, as Brianna brightly smiled. 'Thank you, May, Thank you!'

May nodded. 'Of course! About that volleyball match though, what's the team you'll be cheering for? I had no idea you were a cheerleader,' May beamed, her pen scribbling on Brianna's paper. 'I'll be cheering for the rose runners. Ever heard of them? They're amazing... especially their best player..' Brianna exclaimed dreamily.

May cocked her eyebrow, her smile cracking into a grin. 'Their best player, huh? Do you like him or something?' She jested, playfully giving Brianna a kick in the arm. Brianna didn't bother to reply, instead she childishly giggled as her face simultaneously turned red.

_______________________________

With Mays backpack hanging on her shoulder she marched over to the sport fields outside. The weather was nice, so she didn't have to worry about getting cold, neither would she have to be about Brianna. 'So, Brianna, for how long have you been cheerleader?'

Brianna looked absent before her head rapidly rose up. 'Oh! Uh.. I've only become cheerleader recently, really. This is my first time cheerleading, thus why'd I appreciate you coming along to help...' She explained, poking her fingers together before her wavy, flowy skirt nervously. 'Oh? Well, good luck!'

'Look! There's the sport field!' Brianna giggled excitedly, her finger directing to the large field. May nodded. 'Ah, cool! Uhm, where do I sit?' May mumbled, checking the bleachers behind her back. 'Oh! Uhm, you can sit wherever you want, I guess!' Brianna answered.

May shook her head into a nod as she walked back to sit down, her bag falling between her shins. Her gaze rolled across the clearing; there were fewer students around, much fewer than she had expected. Cocking an eyebrow, she tried to reach Brianna by talking as loud as she was able to talk.

'Brianna?' May asked, causing for Brianna to turn around in surprise. 'What's up?' Brianna replied, quickly walking up the bleachers. 'How's it so quiet here? I thought more people would watch..' May murmured, taking a good look at the environment around her. 'Well.. you see, the Rose runners are pretty popular. There's only a selected few of people who are allowed to watch from the bleachers.'

Brianna's answer caught May slightly by surprise. Were they that popular? That they weren't even able to casually play volleyball? 'Ah, okay. I guess that clears up a lot..' May huffed back. 'Yeah. Students usually watch from the classrooms that tower above the sport fields though,' Brianna added. 'That way they can in fact watch them play.'

'Anyway, I think the match should start soon. I'll be getting ready, okay? If you've got any other questions I'm able to answer them if we're done!' She smiled brightly, hopping off of the bleachers, running back to the field. May gave Brianna a wave. 'Good luck!'

May comfortably sat back in her seat. The field was getting slightly more crowded, as well as the bleachers. May had checked to look behind her, and like Brianna had told her, she could see students watching from the windows- but barely. May wasn't most familiar with volleyball at all, so she knew she had to figure out what was going on by herself.

And before she knew it the match had begun. The ball was simply being thrown around as May watched curiously. Who was the team member that Brianna liked so much?

Her shifting gaze came to a stop when her sight fell on a taller student. He had remarkable green hair hanging in front of his eyes. And even though she couldn't really see the guy well from such a distance, she felt like she had seen the student before. Like she had talked to him before—

Suddenly, May felt as if the tension on the field was getting stronger— Even Brianna seemed surprised by the vibe. The ball was constantly getting thrown on and about roughly, like the other team was starting to lose it. Curious of what was going on, she walked down the bleachers, off to Brianna's side.

Except when May was at the end of the staircase, May noticed the volleyball flying right Brianna's way. With her eyes widening, and her teeth clenched, she jumped down and ran towards Brianna.

'Brianna, watch out!'