chapter 29 - fleeting fates

hi hi everyone! a new chapter, yay! um, I wanted to mention I'm updating my contestshipping art book every so often, which will have the turning different (AU) artworks included! so look out for that! ^.^ oh, and have you noticed the new book cover for this story? I redrew it, yay! oh, and also, the end of this book is near! anyway, enjoy!

~~

With her backpack strapped over her shoulder she happily made her way off to school. It was the day after she had received the gift from Drew. Unfortunately though when May showed up at his place to thank him, he wasn't home.

So she was determined to thank him now! Instead of making a cheesy appreciation speech like she'd planned to do the day before when showing up to his door, this time she planned something to return the favor. She shyly held the bag between her fingers, trying to not get distracted by the smell of the fresh-baked goods.

"I swear, if he's not going to like these I'm gonna flip." She groaned, almost drooling over the sight of the gold-brown cookies in the seethrough plastic bag. "No. These are for Drew, not for me!" She convinced herself, angrily stomping towards the entrance of the school. Students were everywhere. Now what she needed was her luck to find Drew.

Now that she thought about it Drew just always appeared out of nowhere, for no reason. "If I were Drew, where would I be?" She mused to herself as she passed the lockers, trying to dodge large groups of students chatting on and about. "..I'd probably be teasing me," She answered as she realized she got no response.

"Hey May!" With furrowed eyebrows she turned around. It was Brendan and Brianna. "Oh! Brianna, Brendan, hi!" She dropped her bag down on the floor since it was quite some weight on her shoulders. "Goodmorning!" Brianna waved happily at the brunette, and Brendan gave a wide smile. "Goodmorning," May chuckled lightly.

Noticing the plastic bag with cookies in her hand Brianna curiously pointed at the bag. "What're those cookies for?" Brianna queried, as she smiled contently upon seeing the cookies. "Um. Nothing," May retorted shyly, her cheeks reddening ever so slightly. "..You sure?" Brianna deadpanned, furrowing her eyebrow at her. "Y-Yes!" She stammered.

"You're hiding something," Brendan chimed in, the corners of his lips tugging into a grin, "Do these cookies happen to be for anyone?" he asked teasingly, making May stammer incoherent words. "No! No way!" she denied quickly, stuffing the cookies into her bag, "they're for lunch today. That's all."

Brianna giggled. "So you'd have to decorate the plastic bag with ribbons? I don't think so," she gave her brunette friend a nudge in the shoulder, "they're for someone aren't they?" she commented haughtily, retrieving her hand back to her hip. "...Fine. They're for Drew. But only to pay him back, that's all!"

Brianna cringed ever so slightly, going unnoticed by May. "Drew? You mean that green haired guy that was teasing you earlier?" Brendan asked curiously, his eyelid dropping down a tad bit. "...Yes, but.. he's just done a lot for me — I need to pay him back!" She picked up her bag before swinging it over her shoulder. "And about that, have you seen him anywhere? I need to talk to him."

Both Brianna and Brendan shook their heads. "I haven't, sorry," Brianna apologized. May dismissively shook her hands before her chest, "Don't worry about it!" May chirped, "I'll go seek for him myself!" And with that she had stormed off to continue searching for the green haired boy. "You're still a little into Drew, aren't you Brianna?" Brendan asked, having noticed her uneasiness. "Not necessarily. I'm just.. still a little heartbroken I guess," She grabbed her arm ashamedly. "It'll be okay," Brendan murmured softly, grabbing her in for a quick hug. "Thanks..." Brianna's cheeks reddened slightly.

~~

May skipped through the hall. Where could that green haired idiot be? He always seemed to be everywhere when she least wanted to see him, but when she practically needed him he was just gone! She puffed her cheeks, her bag still weighing a lot on her sore back. "Once I find that grasshead I am so giving him a piece of my mind," she growled to herself.