[o6 : Forbidden Fruit] redux

Waking up, I fought back the chill of déjà vu as I came to in another unfamiliar bedroom. Disoriented and more than a little distressed, I let my body take its time waking up as, somewhere in the corner of my mind, I struggled to recall the fragmented pieces of the dream I had that still nagged at my subconscious.

Eyes still closed, I let myself think of Bunny; her ears she'd learned to hide so well, and the literal starlight that shown in her eyes as she'd tapped into her casting. Even though she still hid who she truly was, it wasn't out of fear or discomfort; or, at least, not her own. Instead, she was confident and unafraid, and only hid what she had to for the sake of her parents.

I envied her that confidence and fearlessness. To have herself figured out so young.

Opening my eyes, I brought my hand up, tapping into my blood and watching as my nails turned black and elongated – just a little – into a finer, pointed shape. Under the covers, I shifted my body, rolling onto my hip as I let my tail grow out behind me. From my temples, I let my horns grow, closing my eyes as I felt them curl back and under.

For a while, I lay there in silence, indulging in the stolen freedom of my released nature. I enjoyed the way that it felt, as if a weight had been lifted from me. Using just my fingertips, I felt along one of my smooth and sturdy horns, charmed by how warm it felt to my touch, with the rest of my body quick to follow. My heart burned in my chest and beat in a way that caused me to gasp for breath.

Toes curling, I snickered as I felt the smooth tip of my tail beat excitedly against my calf. 'What I wouldn't give to just walk around like this. Like me – the real me!'

I played through the fantasy in my head, letting myself get lost in it, just for a little while. I even went so far as to get myself up just to lounge, stretched out on my couch, while I found and watched the weather as I prepared myself mentally for the day. I'd let myself get comfortable, forgetting where I was and how I looked – until I heard it. It came as a sudden, loud bang, like the slamming of a door from somewhere very close by. But it had been enough to make me jump, and to force me back into my senses, into the present.

Scared, I shook away my inhuman features; my beloved horns and tail, giving them time to retract completely before I held my breath and listened.

Somewhere, not far beyond the main door of my suite, I heard the slam for a second time. Then a third. Then came the sound of something bumping hard against a wall, followed by a muffled voice complaining.

I was relieved, at least, to know that my suite wasn't being broken into, and I exhaled. But I was curious. I would have to go and explore.

🖤

Out of the shower and dressed, I made my way to the door of my suite, leaning into it with my ear pressed to the center as I listened for any other sounds like I'd heard before.

Hearing only silence, I opened up the door and gasped as I found myself caught by Bunny's eye. "Oh shit, I'm sorry!" The words were out my mouth before I could think them.

Bunny just laughed as she pulled herself away from the frame of her door and came towards me. "Not quite the warm greeting I was expecting, but, I guess I'll have to take it." Her bright eyes searched me over with a clear curiosity, wordlessly wondering why I could only stand petrified in place. To break me of it, she smiled and flicked my nose, laughing as I jumped and came to my senses. "Wow, you okay? I was only kidding! Don't look at me like that! You're making me feel bad!"

In an instant, I pitched myself forward, closing in the short distance between us to embrace Bunny, good and tight. "Yeah, I'm good. Even better now, actually."