[12 : Say You Will]

I woke up slowly, taking my time to feel out all the strange sensations in my body: the small aches, the dull stiffness in parts, and the momentary fluttering in my chest as I reminisced on why I felt all of these things like I did.

I couldn't stop myself from smiling like a fool before I remembered my company.

Elias.

I closed my eyes, as, as if on cue, I heard him breathe in deep beside me, and felt the shift in my bed as he turned himself over. Another shift, and I felt his chest against my back and his arm as it slowly snaked over my side. Still filled with a little residual daringness from last night, I skated my fingertips across his knuckles, just to feel them tense under my touch. Another deep breath, and he pulled his hand away, just to bring it back as he laid his hand over mine, intertwining our fingers, and giving my hand a reconfirming squeeze.

As close as we were now, I could feel his easy breathing across my shoulder. "You're awake."

My smile deepened as I opened up my eyes. "So are you. Been up long?"

He shook his head. "No."

I felt comfortable like this, relaxed in the way he held me with no sense of rush, confusion or urgency. I knew it wouldn't last, but for now, it was nice.

I let my senses drift, taking in and learning the relaxed scent of him, tasting it and committing it to memory. I explored it until I finally felt him tense and his finger pulled from mine, stroking down the length of my spine before he pulled himself out of my bed.

I felt my smile dampen. "Duty calls..." I breathed as I rolled over onto my back, just in time to see him nod. He was already on his feet and pulling on the clothes he'd worn last night.

"I have a meeting to attend, and somewhat of a new face to go and see. Would you like to accompany me?"

It was a tempting offer, to watch Elias work his position of power. To see the inner workings of a profession and a network I'd been taught to fear all my life. But, curious as I was, I wasn't ready. To see the faces, hear the names of the people that he influenced and manipulated with his charms... I wasn't ready for all of that. Not yet.

"I still have to figure out my contract."

"Ah. A very important task, not to be rushed or taken lightly."

"I know..."

"Maybe Bunny could lend a second pair of eyes to the task?" he offered with a smile. "I look forward to going over it with you once it's done."

I frowned, confused. "Go...over it?"

He nodded slowly, his eyes fixed into mine. There was a question to his expression that threw me off somewhat. "Of course. I'll be the one to approve it, after all... Or, deny it." There was a flash of another expression across his face then, and only for a second. One I didn't understand. But it was gone way too fast for me to read.

"Deny...?"

Elias smiled as he reached to stroke my hair, aiming to reassure me. "Don't worry," he said, and I instinctively leaned into his hand, needing that comfort. "Just be honest in your contract with yourself. List your expectations clearly. Take into consideration things you might like or expect from potential future clients. In that same vein, you should make an opposing list, things you would outright deny any client. The consideration from both sides of expectations is important. Crucial. If you enter into an agreement without a basic understanding of one another, then your contract is destined to fail from the start." He sighed, catching and stopping himself before he could settle into rambling. "Above all else, your contract is to protect you."