Chapter 17

The view from our room at the air bnb was magnificent. Lush green grass grew everywhere and farm animals grazed in their pastures. In the distance, the water from Black Isle sparkled in the late day sunlight. Small cottages dotted the coast, each adorned with a garden of colorful flowers.

Fionn walked up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. "To your left is where the festival is held. See that lighthouse?" He pointed to a spot in the distance, placing one hand on top of mine and guiding it out in front of us. "That's where they display the films. Several aspiring filmmakers from around the world send in their projects with the hope of being featured here."

"That's amazing." I spun around in his arms, stroking my thumb against the rough stubble on his cheeks. "This place is amazing. Being here with you is...amazing."

He laughed. "Then why do I sense that there's something you're not telling me?"

I let my arms fall and wordlessly went to unpack my suitcase. Not now. The moment was too good to ruin with my news, but something inside me urged me forward.

"Em?" Worry filled his voice. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I sighed and jumped onto the bed, letting my legs swing as I sat. "I-I need to tell you something."

It was only the 27th of December. We had the next few days to take in the sights and spend time together; I really wanted to make it last. But it couldn't feel real unless I told him the truth. I wasn't a patient person, and the last thing I needed was this hanging over my head while I tried to enjoy my time with him.

"Okay." He crossed the room to sit next to me. "What's going on? You know you can tell me anything."

"I know." I glanced over at him, taking his hand in mine and lacing our fingers together. "So, a few months ago I applied to this creative writing program here in Scotland. I actually thought the ticket was somehow related but I hadn't received any sort of notification with an acceptance so I quickly dismissed that theory. Then on Christmas Eve, I got an email saying I've been accepted."

Fionn's face broke into a grin. "Emilie, that's fantastic!" Then seeing my expression, he continued, "Right?"

"Yes. Of course, yes, it is fantastic because it means I'll get to be in Scotland longer term. The problem is you won't be."

"Oh." His voice immediately quieted.

"Yeah." I averted my gaze. "I-I didn't know how to tell you exactly after you told me about your programs."

"Why?" He frowned.

"I thought it was obvious. If I accept my program in Scotland, I'll be here, but you'll be in either the US or Germany. So it means—"

"It just means that we will have to do long distance longer than we originally thought." Fionn squeezed my hand reassuringly. "It worked for my parents, aye? What says it won't work for us?"

I dropped his hand and started pacing the room, my brain going into hyperdrive. "We're not your parents, Fionn. How do we know it'll work?"

"How do we know it won't?" he argued, standing up.

With his 6'0 frame, he towered over me but somehow that stance was still comforting. Just being in his presence, I knew I was safe.

"Emilie, are you looking for a reason to end this?" His voice broke. "Because if you are—"

"No, of course not!" I furiously shook my head. "Fionn, I want to be with you. I don't want to lose you."

"And you won't," he said. "I won't let it happen."